Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D
It's unusual you mention what a manufacturer tells you. And if they now have to investigate the flare issue, that means they just didn't test it properly on pre-production or production samples.

Flares are normal to a certain degree in Ultra-wide, okay, but the Laowa is not exactly cheap. If they want to play in the high league with their low-tech stuff (no EXIF is low-tech these days) they have to deliver outstanding optics. Since I saw the inner life of the 15mm macro shift lens, I think, an apprentice in the last year could have done the same mechanics. To me, the value of the lens over long time is not there.
As of now this lens is in prototype stage.

That is a first. No need to be hypercritical NOW.

However, at the end of the day, the proof is in the pudding, yes.

They didn't request to remove any info.

And I will not get any lens for free - just to answer this question.

Its nice for photozone to be at the forefront of new lens testing.

Yuck. That's a neat flare blob right there. Thanks for the test shot!

Quote:Yuck. That's a neat flare blob right there. Thanks for the test shot!

I think we should be a little fair there though - most lenses will produce flare like hell when positioning the sun in a certain angle.

The worst spot is when the spot light is just outside of the image frame.

However, yes, the Laowa could be better there. The "high sun" scenario is probably not overly interesting - such images are rarely brilliant. The sunset one is a bit ouch though and I didn't have to search for it. It was immediately obvious in the viewfinder.
The image (Laowa provided?) of the library was pretty spectacular for focus and coverage.  I wonder why these manual lens makers don't at least use a chip for autofocus confirmation and focal length.  It's really convenient to know that information. 

The license costs will cut their benefit - if they'd get a license at all.

Laowa ships chipped lenses .... albeit it didn't work on the 105mm STF on the 5Ds R.

If you need one ... well, buy the Nikon version, and go for a chipped Nikon EOS adapter for example.

Many chipped adapters won't work on newer bodies like the 5DS R either, you need to be sure to get a chip without issues with new models.
I use adapters.  It's a necessity if you want to...well adapt a lens.  But I do consider them the weakest link on the lens.  Correct thickness?  Flatness?  Doesn't get stuck on the lens?  On the camera?  Any rotational play?  Will it fall off by itself?  Is it properly blacked out with no light leaks?...and, don't laugh...Is the printing upside down?  (If it is, DON'T LAUGH!  Will you try to put it on the camera or lens upside down?).  I was thinking maybe I would rather have one than not have one.  Do I need one on a lens that everything beyond a few inches is in focus anyway?  Need is a strong word...My question directed to Laowa:  Do you need my business?

I wasn't aware that some of the newer lenses are a problem with chips.  Does this mean that chipped adapters will have to have little usb adapters that let you download the latest firmware updates? 

To sum it up, I feel like sticking up for Laowa when people criticize the lenses as being pointless, or cheap.  I think the makers want to let you have a better way to do close, and wide angle macros.  And other less important stuff.  Joju?  You actually own the 15mm 1:1 macro I think?  And...do not like it?  Sorry wrong thread, but, I mean...I must have it wrong!  Granted I have never so much as set eyes on any of their lenses.  I have seen some remarkable photos.  So, yes, that means I like that photographer's skill.  And only think that the lens must be good. 

This is maybe a little sad, but when I read a PZ review, I really want to see the photos, and how many stars Klaus gives the lens before I make up my mind!  What I mean to say is if PZ were to do a review on the 15mm 1:1, or the 60mm 2:1, I'd still be interested in reading the reviews.  I've pretty much decided no more manual focus lenses for me.  But Laowa can do some very special things!  But can they do them well?