Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony 50mm f/1.4
Yeah, the A7r II ia pretty high in price. One of the most expensive parts of a FF camera is the sensor. Producing an AA-filter is about as expensive as the sensor itself, and the cameras has no AA-filter. Profit.

The reason MF cameras have no AA-filter is, by the way, that it was easier that way (too expensive to make them). Now they act as if it is because of better IQ, but it is just that the MF community is used to the aliassed look.

This 50mm f1.4 is expensive, but it does contain quite a lot of glass... So it is not as silly priced as the Nikkor 58mm f1.4.

Quote:There are only the
  • Sonnar 55mm f1.8
  • FE 50mm f1.8
  • E 50mm f1.8 OSS
  • Loxia 50mm f2
  • And now Planner 50mm f1.4
Well, maybe you sort of have a point.

Quote:There is still room for 50 macro, 50 pancake, collapsing 50, tilt/shift 50, 50 stf ...

They have a 50 macro in A mount. They also have another 50/1.8 (APS-C) and two 50/1.4 lenses (One rebadged Minolta and one Zeiss ZA). 

Oh but this one has an AF/MF switch on the lens. Didn't see that coming. 
Counting another mount? Why not count the Canon EOS and Nikon F-mount ~50mm's too, since they also need an adapter which are available?

There then is the Canon 40mm f2.8 STM, Canon TS-E 45mm, the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM, the Canon EF 40mm f1.4, the Canon EF 50mm f1.2 L USM, the Canon EF 50mm f2.5 macro, the Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.8, the Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.4, the Nikkor AF-S 58mm f1.4, the Zeiss Milvus 50mm f1.4, the Zeiss Milvus 50mm f2 macro, the Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, the Tamron 45mm f1.8 USD VC.  Tongue

Eh, mine do say Sony on them Wink. And they are natively supported.

I could've counted Minolta AF lenses and all their generations so don't tempt me.

Quote:In these days of overpopulation it's wise to be a "Family Planner" :blink: Ouch!
As in "buy this $1500 lens and your wife will ensure you're never able to procreate again"? Smile Sounds apt to me. Smile But looks like Sony is on a roll with the third 50mm (ish) lens in their lineup. Guess we'll be seeing a fast 24mm lens soon (though there is a Batis that comes rather close, being a 25mm f/2).
Well Roger from lens rentals seems to like it: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/07/sony-fe-planar-t-50mm-f1-4-za-mtf-and-variance-testing/ 

Sony has a run. Asking a lot money for a prime is one thing, but asking a lot money for a prime and being better than the so-far-best, which cost more than double the price... plus this low variation, wow. They suddenly seem to learn how to drag attention on their products. Very well done, Sony.