Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
want to try pinhole photography any recommendations?
Interested getting a pinhole lens, I often do long exposure pictures and a long exposure is a no problem unlimited DOF is something I really want also, so any recommendations?

Klaus will you test any pinhole lens???
I used to have an EF body cap with a pinhole in it.

It is fun to try, but don't have too high hopes concerning the results. Yes, there is lot's of DOF. But there is not:

- a viewfinder image
- exposure metering (it's try & error)
- anything you could call resolution

The latter point is why there will definitely not be any tests here. The results would be below where our charts start.

Oh, one more thing: if you thought, you had clean sensors in your cameras, a pinhole lens will tell you otherwise Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Toni-a, sometimes I envy your enthusiasm. Smile

If you want to try pinhole, shoot film. This is one of the areas where digital can't touch what film can do. Otherwise yeah, just go for a lens cap with a hole in it.

Tip: Remove the middle of the lens cap and put an aluminium foil in there. That way you can experiment with different sized pinholes by replacing the foil.

Quote:If you want to try pinhole, shoot film. This is one of the areas where digital can't touch what film can do. Otherwise yeah, just go for a lens cap with a hole in it.

Tip: Remove the middle of the lens cap and put an aluminium foil in there. That way you can experiment with different sized pinholes by replacing the foil.

Probably you mean body cap?
Quote:Interested getting a pinhole lens, I often do long exposure pictures and a long exposure is a no problem unlimited DOF is something I really want also, so any recommendations?

Klaus will you test any pinhole lens???
I know you are not into understanding the physics, but...

1st, a pinhole is not a lens. It is the lack of a lens.

And then: A body cap pinhole on your 5D is equivalent to a ~50mm f100 FF lens, or on your 750D equivalent to a ~80mm f160mm FF lens. This means: quite a bit less than 1 megapixel resolution due to diffraction. 

If you make the hole bigger to try to get less diffraction, you get less resolution due to the lack of the lens not focussing the light passing through the bigger hole (shoot an image without a lens to get a feel of what unfocussed light does).

It appears to me that half a phrase triggered you ("infinite DOF") without reading about the rest. pinhole camera shooting is only for the curious, artists/art students. Not for a typical hobby photographer who wants to shoot sharp-ish (landscape) scenes with deep DOF.

Well this is the lens I was interested in

https://petapixel.com/2017/05/31/heres-w...ens-dslrs/

I saw a local photo expo all done with pinhole technique it is a film camera the guy made himself , not a 35mm DSLR though

Buy several body caps instead and drill holes with different diameters on them. That'll cost you less than 10$ and you won't be giving your money to someone who is trying to get rich by inventing products nobody actually needs.

Also, seriously, go shoot film if you are interested in pinhole. That's where all the experimenting really is. Build your own very basic camera and you can do ridiculously long exposure shots without worrying about long exposure noise reduction etc.