Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sony FE 50mm f/1.8
So let's welcome Captain Slow ...

http://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff...onyfe50f18

the purple fringing is quiet spectacular in one of the sample photos!

I don't think i've ever seen something like this before.

Also, you've given it the same optical rating as the 55mm, where the 55 gets much better resolutions scores? 

/* Edit */

Ok, the score of the 55mm at 3.5* appears inline with the 90mm. Plus the bokeh of the 50mm seems a bit better than the 55mm.

just checked although the link is not working but the effect is already visible in the thumbnail so I guessed the picture Smile

I guess it is this one

(image deleted due to size)

smugmug appears to be doing something with links. Yes that is the photo I was referring too. The purple fringing is evident in other shots too.

The bokeh appears pretty rough too in a number of photos. 

I'm not 100% sure whether this is "classic" purple fringing but I added a comment nontheless.

The bokeh deteriorates towards the corners - probably a smearing effect from the poor corner resolution.

The resolution seems a tad worse than with the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM, but that can be due to the higher resolution sensor-hit.

LoCA seems a tad stronger, but again, hard to tell.

It seems that the aspherical element did not bring much improvement to the Sony, compared to the very similar (same lens construction design) Canon of half the price.

Quote:I'm not 100% sure whether this is "classic" purple fringing but I added a comment nontheless.

The bokeh deteriorates towards the corners - probably a smearing effect from the poor corner resolution.
It does look like classic LoCA to me. If it was PF in the mix, we would see it in the green highlight in the back too. But no, we see very strong magenta LoCA in the front, and very strong green LoCA in the back.
Looking at this once more - these are probably more LoCAs than PF.

Ah, yes your right BC. Ugly never the less.

The extreme contrast is probably pushing the LoCAs quite a bit in there.