Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 ...
... worst AF motor ever ...

How so?

Quote:How so?

It is embarrassing slow (and noisy) for a lens released in the year 2016.

Unbelievable actually.
Well, it seems that they took seriously that "cheap".  ^_^  Anyway, is it embarrassing only, or does it also make the thing unusable?

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
really quiet disappointing. I had hoped that some reasonably priced FE lenses would be a good reason to enter the system.

I seriously doubt that you can use this AF for tracking.

As for the rest I would classify it as annoying.

Quote:really quiet disappointing. I had hoped that some reasonably priced FE lenses would be a good reason to enter the system.

Hmmm.

The "cheapest" A7II (no R, no S) is around 1500.- $, an α6300 still 1200.-, that 50/1.8 app. 300 $ - okay, there are 50mm lenses available for the same prices as those bodies, but they are meant for the R-version? Maybe one would be better off by getting a Canon 50/1.8 and using the MC-11 from Sigma? 250 (adapter) + 120 (Canon lens) makes the package not so much more expensive.

Apparently the adapter is not a bad thing, says lensrentals.

the original a7 is keenly priced now... Although i've had my eye on the a7s to pair with the 15mm voigtlander (also at a great price).

By reading Sarah McAlexanders blogpost on lensrentals, I saw this paragraph:

Quote: 

I found that autofocus worked on all of the AF lenses that I tried. The focus modes and focus points were limited though, and the camera would not go into flexible one-point focus to use any of the points on the outer edges of the frame. The AF speed was good, and face detection was active. The image stabilization also worked fine with all three relevant lenses. I also tried a tilt-shift lens in full tilt and shift positions to check for vignetting and all is good. One lens that did give problems was the Canon 50mm f/1.2. The metering was way off causing the images to be overexposed. After going back later with a different copy of the lens the metering was fine, but I did notice that the aperture only opened to F/1.3. Same deal with the Canon 85mm f/1.2. And checking the Canon 50mm f/1.8 I found it opened up to f/1.7.

So, sorry, it was no good idea to suggest this due to this limitations.  :mellow:

And chrismiller, the original A7's are coming with a fat shutter shock. Keep that in mind before spending money on them.

The main issue I have with the sigma converter is the size of the Art lenses! I did not realise the A7 had shutter shock issues too - I though it was only the A7R.

What are peoples thoughts on the GH4? I had a play with one in John lewis the other day and it feels great in the hand. I was disappointed with the x-t1 in this regard.