Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling Canon 50mm f1.4 to buy...Canon 50mm f1.4
Quote:I am a little confused... if this lens model has a known issue, why even consider it not for the first, but for the second time?

A Sigma 50/1.4 EX may be a better choice, let alone one of the modern units (Sigma 50/1.4 A, Tamron 45/1.8...)

Because Canonverse seriously lacks a decent 50mm. 

-Sigma EX is huge and AF is unreliable 

-Sigma ART is even bigger and AF is still unreliable

-Any version of 50/1.8 EF will have unpleasant bokeh

-50/1.4 is mediocre, just like any 50/1.4 design from 80s/early 90s but it's also the most fragile one of them all (Sony/Minolta/Nikon etc.)

-50/1.2 is not that great of a performer, people usually buy it out of frustration after dealing with the other Canon 50mm. At least this one won't break, right?
Another fella who calls 50/1.4 Art unreliable AFing. Huh Strange, I have no big issues with it. Yesterday somebody wanted to buy mine because I told her I don't use it often. At second look, I made like 2/3 of the number of pictures I made with the 35 during the last 5 years, so it's not "under-used". Of course, for me each lens needs AF-adjustment and latest firmware, but I don't have more missed focus with Sigma than with Nikon - which doesn't mean "never a miss", but I could not agree on unreliable focus.

I really wonder how this statements are based in reality.

But on the other hand, when I rented for a lot of money a 85/1.4 Art, it's AF was so far off that even +20 didn't get it back to work properly. Had to use a combination of dock and camera adjustment. Can't understand why an official importer doens't pay more attention to a correct adjusted lens. I mean, +/- 4 or 5 that's barely noticeable. But that was just a massive lemon.

Quote:Would you change a winning team,? I really like this lens, it has been my prefered since 2005, besides it has weight and size advantages.

Besides used on 7D border softness is not an issue, I rarely use it at f1.4 at f2.0 and f2.8 it's just amazing, especially for skin rendering, none of my many other lenses comes close.
If a lens gives problems, it's not a "winning team".

Besides, that 50 is nothing special in my opinion. Not as rustic as the 50/1.8 II - few lenses are - but still not generally something to rave about on many levels.
As Obican said we have few alternatives in Canon land, for years we have been waiting but Canon isn't listening, give me a good 50mm f2.0 with good bokeh and I am ready to get it, there's the 50f2.5 macro but its slow autofocus is a serious issue

The Canon EF 50mm f1.2 L USM actually is a good lens. But not very cheap.

Quote:The Canon EF 50mm f1.2 L USM actually is a good lens. But not very cheap.
how much than the f1.4 at f2.0 to f2.8 where I use it, outside build quality the f1.4 is even better

Quote:how much than the f1.4 at f2.0 to f2.8 where I use it, outside build quality the f1.4 is even better
If you want to believe that, fine.
Quote:Another fella who calls 50/1.4 Art unreliable AFing. Huh Strange, I have no big issues with it. Yesterday somebody wanted to buy mine because I told her I don't use it often. At second look, I made like 2/3 of the number of pictures I made with the 35 during the last 5 years, so it's not "under-used". Of course, for me each lens needs AF-adjustment and latest firmware, but I don't have more missed focus with Sigma than with Nikon - which doesn't mean "never a miss", but I could not agree on unreliable focus.

I really wonder how this statements are based in reality.

But on the other hand, when I rented for a lot of money a 85/1.4 Art, it's AF was so far off that even +20 didn't get it back to work properly. Had to use a combination of dock and camera adjustment. Can't understand why an official importer doens't pay more attention to a correct adjusted lens. I mean, +/- 4 or 5 that's barely noticeable. But that was just a massive lemon.

Friend has that lens and I've used it quite a few times. It was worse than AF microadjustment on his 6D. The problem was more like lens failing to stop the AF motor after nailing focus. So it'd both front/back focus quite often, depending on which side the lens was focusing from.

Heard the exact same behavior from a few other people as well. Lens was from one of the earlier production batches, so maybe that explains it. 

I wouldn't want that lens even if the AF was reliable though. If I'm carrying around a 1kg lens, it's not going to be a 50/1.4. For someone else that might be OK but not for me.
Quote:If you want to believe that, fine.
check for yourself

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_f...n_50_12_5d

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_f...non50f14ff

at the same aperture the f1.4 is always the better lens only advantages of the f1.2 are the build quality autofocus motor and having f1.2
Quote:Friend has that lens and I've used it quite a few times. It was worse than AF microadjustment on his 6D. The problem was more like lens failing to stop the AF motor after nailing focus. So it'd both front/back focus quite often, depending on which side the lens was focusing from.

Heard the exact same behavior from a few other people as well. Lens was from one of the earlier production batches, so maybe that explains it. 

I wouldn't want that lens even if the AF was reliable though. If I'm carrying around a 1kg lens, it's not going to be a 50/1.4. For someone else that might be OK but not for me.

With the weight you're right, it's absurd - but most of the Art lenses are hefty.

Mine is 014, so also an early copy - firmware for Nikon is 1.00. Canon got 1.01, as well as the genuine Sigma mount - but that's just to become compatible with their MC-11 converter for Sony.

I took just ∼180 shots in my room with this and other lenses. The "flicker" warning of the D850 was often on, so take my findings with some grains of salt (not just one). My lens needs +6 AFMA, and internally it's +3, +2, 0, -2 (for 0.45, 0.8, 2 m and ∞ ). I usually set AF to AF-C and single point. AFMA beyond camera possibility? I would send the lens back. The dock is nice for fine tunings, but the more off it gets, the more problems the AF-module will create. Like driving a car with a mirror which looks 2 m right of the street..

AF center point: 1 out of 20 shots was a bit front focus, the others spot on.

AF extreme corners: depending of the corner, upper right was worst, hardly one shot in focus, the other corners were better. Using LV didn't show a bad lens, I just learnt: in tungsten light better no corners to AF. I think it's a DSLR problem, maybe even a Nikon, don't know, it's just a bit disappointing. There's a possibility the AF module is misaligned due to a fall, but other lenses were better - partly much better on the corners of the AF pattern.

Then I tried the same game with D810. Again, nearly no AF problems when staying on the center, but the outer corners / borders remain a bad idea to do. For me, with AF-C and my maybe insufficient AF-skills, that is.

Along the other lenses were two Nikkors: 85/1.4G and Micro Nikkor 105/2.8. The Micro Nikkor hardly misses but at the corners it's also more on the uncertain side of things. The 85... well, now I don't wonder anymore about focus pane on the wrong spot  :unsure: And the Sigma usually is better resolving than the Micro Nikkor. (lenscore.org confirms that with 1001 against 1160 points resolution / 961 against 1053 total points)

Back to the 50 Art. I will not exchange it for the much lighter 50/1.4G, in fact I got rid of that when the Sigma came out. Sharpness wide open still is incredible, so for me, if it has to be a 50 mm, i don't see a point in constantly thinking "neat, but with the Sigma it would have been really good"  ^_^ I can't speak for any other 50 mm Art, but mine is close to perfect with center AF on PDAF.

Against the unreliable focus: I'm afraid the medicine's comes in a package with a big SONY logo and the number A7RIII on it.

Okay, neither the Sigma nor the Sony are something for toni's definition of "winning team", but others might find it useful to know.  Big Grin