Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
prints colors and room lighting
Today I made a print, the colors looked fine in a room with orange walls wit white fluorescent light, however once I took it to another room where lighting in LED daylight  the colors looked dreadful greenish.

It's the first time I notice this, so should I set print colors to the lighting of the place where it will be exposed ?

No, it should not be that way. it should look like it should look in daylight. Then if you look at it in an environment with warm light, it should look warmer, in an environment with cooler light it should look cooler, just like every other object.
I can't show you what I see but In can make a simulation on the screen, I will shoot a grey card in each room and measure color temperature, however it is not a color temperature issue but a severe green cast.

Shouldn't LED modern light be daylight ?

if it looks green in daylight, your whole colour management got screwed up.

Quote:if it looks green in daylight, your whole colour management got screwed up.
I am using colormunki photo for screen and printer calibration, would the room walls color (light orange)  affect calibration ? 

will do grey card shooting tonight and measure the values for color temperature for each room.

Should I move the screen and printer to another room?

The wall color will not affect calibration, but if you print and look at it in a colored room, you will have a different color temperature. Which means, a picture with an already warm tone will appear "overheated".

If you hang pictures on a colored wall which is not neutral white, grey or black, all pictures will "suffer" of the influence of the colored walls.

And if your brain already saw the picture on a green wall and tries to neutralize the wall color, it will appear with a green tint if you increase the color temperature of the ambient light to daylight and just go out of your orange room into daylight (evening or morning light will increase the effect). Your brain can adapt to "false" wall colors, especiayll if you're familiar with the subject of the picture. Then you know how it should look like and the impression adapts.

I have no idea about that colormunki stuff. I use a mac, and with simple Mac OS X native basic screen calibration I get images without (obvious) colour casts, whether I print on an Espon, a Canon printer or send it to photo printed. The only thing that may vary is the brightness.

All I can say is: take the image outside. If it looks right, it is right. Don't let the wall colours dictate/influence your printing process. Or go back to white walls Wink .

The latest time I've printed something is the past year, when I tried a professional printer service. It was ok, but I don't like the glossy paper they offer at a very affordable price, and the matte I like costs too much. But I'm going to use it for printing a few ones to hang on the wall. 

They provided the ICC profiles for printing and actually everything was fine with my print test set, by using them in the LR workflow (with the exception of 5% of photos that are very low key or high key). But I had to manually compensate for colour temperature: everything come out at first too warm. This definitely depends on the ambient light, which in my case are halo lamps with a light quality similar to incandescence ones. I think I'll specifically fix the colour temperature for the print.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Checked the print in daylight: no green cast... grey card check tomorrow