Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SIgma 85mm f1.4 EX DG HSM discontinued, new 85mm Art to be announced in September
Which is good news, the old 85mm was that impressive (rendering wise, DOF wise (very close to the f1.8 lenses) and CA wise).

http://photorumors.com/2016/05/20/sigma-...ming-soon/

It's a pity that the 85/1.4 goes to the grave before I had a chance to own one. I was actually on the verge of buying one many years ago, but bailed for some reason. I still keep a few pictures made with it - including portrait shots of my best friend. I thought that at f/1.4 it was rather soft (that was before I learned that most any f/1.4 lenses are like this wide open) but pretty nice at f/1.8. However, now the Tamron 85/1.8 VC has become the subject of my interest instead.

Rove, you can snatch it used for about $500. It is a quite a value. I owned for a while

Well, it's not a high priority for me anymore since I've upgraded to the 1D Mark IV because I can just use the ISO settings 2 stops higher than with the old 1D Mark II N... and shoot with the 70-200/2.8 IS lens that I have. At times I'm thinking that a fast 85mm prime might be nice to have - it's one of my favourite focal lengths after all - but I'm in no hurry. And the Tamron looks very enticing as well.