Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lensrentals's Fuji 55-200 lens teardown
The Fuji 55-200mm was the only lens that failed mechanically for me - the zoom ring got stuck somewhere mid-range. Fuji replaced it.

(05-15-2020, 11:18 PM)Hapo Wrote: ...did they get any better lately...???...how does one determine the age/vintage of one's lens...???...

...how badly have I fuked up my 55-200 lens by removing it w/o shutting off the camera...???...

...how do you tell if your lens is not centered...???...anything obvious...???...

To answer a few of your questions

Yes, the QC of lenses got better in recent years. Not all of them but I can notice it.

Canon used to be pretty mediocre in terms of centering but they are quite fail-safe nowadays.
Sigma ... can you remember SIGnificant MAlfunctions? LOL. But these days are long gone. They are mostly great now (avoid EX era lenses and earlier).
Tamron ... still not convinced but not as bad as they once were. I fail to understand why people are enthusiastic about Tamrons.
Samyang ... meh (hit or miss).
Nikon - can't tell. Markus may comment. During "my time" with Nikon, they were similar to Canon, maybe a tad worse.
Sony - their older APS-C lenses were pretty much ALL terrible. This changed with their FF FE lenses. They are very good now.
Panasonic ... meh - even the high priced ones.
Olympus ... they were good back in the days and are better now but not on modern Canon levels.
Fuji ... primes ... huii ... zooms ... pfuiii.
Pentax ... meh
The exotics - as a rule of thumb - don't buy high-speed stuff. Don't expect greatness in terms of QC.

Personally I wouldn't buy used zoom lenses that are older than 4 years. And newer zoom designs are pretty much always superior to their predecessors in terms of QC.

Of course, outliers exist and you will always risk running into a lemon - more so than with other consumer electronic items. Lenses are difficult beasts.

These are my SUBJECTIVE impressions. I've tested a LOT of lenses but, of course, just one sample per series. 
Take it or leave it.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
...did I scramble anything by removing the lens with the camera on...???...when I updated the firmware they said to never do that...

...I didn't do it right after the update but much later when I was in a hurry to change the lens...

...should I reload the updated drivers...???...would that fix anything...???...

...I did buy the 55-200 used...
(05-16-2020, 12:42 AM)Hapo Wrote: ...did I scramble anything by removing the lens with the camera on...???...when I updated the firmware they said to never do that...

...I didn't do it right after the update but much later when I was in a hurry to change the lens...

On Six canon camera bodies and on a Sony body I regularly swap lenses without turning off the camera never had an issue, so I wouldn't worry about that
About centering the most practical approach was already posted here by Klaus

https://forum.opticallimits.com/showthread.php?tid=3280

What's the issue with your lens ?? what's malfunctioning ??
buying used needs a lot of expertise with lenses, not all sellers are honest and many would be selling because of a malfunction
I've never heard that removing the lens on an activated camera can cause a defect.
I'm very sloppy in this respect and never had an issue.
The mount electronics should have a robust design - otherwise, I'd call it a design flaw.

(05-16-2020, 05:01 AM)toni-a Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 12:42 AM)Hapo Wrote: ...did I scramble anything by removing the lens with the camera on...???...when I updated the firmware they said to never do that...

On Six canon camera bodies and on a Sony body I regularly swap lenses without turning off the camera never had an issue, so I wouldn't worry about that  
About centering the most practical approach was already posted here by Klaus

https://forum.opticallimits.com/showthread.php?tid=3280

What's the issue with your lens ?? what's malfunctioning ??
buying used needs a lot of expertise with lenses, not all sellers are honest and many would be selling because of a malfunction

...well, outside of a slight amount of play in the mount as noted, nothing that I am aware of...

...I have only taken a few images so far but have not noticed any obvious aberrations...joining this forum has made me paranoid... (grin)

...I was a bit leery of a used lens but I thought it would be obvious if there was anything wrong with it... (d'oh!)

...Andromeda seemed like a good bet...all the used 55-200's sold out quickly...

...I was a bit put off by the number of used 55-200 lenses @ Adorama, (3) but they were gone in a day...

...I paid $500 for the "E" rated one and was only slightly discouraged by a weird, fine, deep scratch on the Zoom ring...it other wise appears new...

...as I type this there are no used 55-200's, but there are three used 18-55's, and a "V" (very good) XF 90 I wish I could grab @ $679...

...I am sure it will be long gone by the time I am flush...

...I am hoping a used 10-24 will show up when I am watching (and flush)...methinks it might be a long wait...

...the last time I saw a used 55-18 there it sold in hours...open box or demo grade is like 46% off retail...they seem to have a brisk trade in used lenses at Adorama...

...right now I have $2708.69 in my cart...LoLoL...
The best deals are manufacturer refurbished ;-)
Because these got an additional QC.

...that is something I agree with 100%...I should probably check Fuji's website for those...

...random comments @ post # 11:

...every one buys Tamron lenses because they have huge zoom ratios, are great to look through, and are very cheap...

...the top tier Canon lines that I will never be able to afford cause pixel envy...
A friendly advice, buying usedrequires some knowledge and expertise otherwise you will see yourself paying more, unless you are getting it with arranty
I was tempted to give a similar advice as toni, but I am slightly biased in this regard Wink Generally: if you buy used, either buy from someone near where you can drive and test in person before agreeing on a deal. Or buy from commercial sellers that offer warranty.

To add to Klaus' list: I see Nikon on a similar path as Canon, slightly worse than Canon in the past, but pretty solid nowadays, especially since they are (finally!) moving towards electronically controlled apertures. The mechanical aperture lever occasionally failed on few of my own lenses, plus it is by design less precise than an electronic aperture.

Not on Klaus' list: Tokina. I personally avoid Tokina for many years now, as a result of a notoriously high rate of decentered lenses, combined with the worst service of the industry, at least here in Europe where Tokina service is handled by the distributor (Hapa team).

Regarding your 55-200: I checked all my XF lenses, and yes, they all can be moved a little in each direction, as you described it with your 18-55, but none of mine can be moved easily, for example by zooming. I am apologizing in advanced if that brings your worries back Wink

Also: I don't think you need to worry about unmounting your lens when the camera is on. I am sure the warning you saw during the update shows up to make sure you do not interrupt the update process accidently (which might render the camera useless). The only lenses I know that came with specific instructions for unmounting are the Canon EF 85 L (both versions) and the CAnon EF 50/1.0 L, which should be set to inifinity before unmounting, because otherwise the extended lens tube with lots of heavy glass in it can put a lot of stress on the AF drive, causing the AF to fail at some point (happened to one of my clients once).
Editor
opticallimits.com

...LoL...it's not like they left...

...maybe the zoom ring is tighter on my lens...

...I was obsessivly mounting and twisting the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses yesterday to see if they were really the same in regards to fitting snuggly...

...the seemed to be, but the play was quite noticeable and annoying when using the longer lens yesterday...that is what led to the obsessive comparison in the field...

...I just keep telling myself the Fuji rep said his was like that and not to worry...LoLoL...

...I would like to dump this whole outfit and get into some Canon equipment but I could not buy a lens for the money I have into this outfit...

...also I spent all of my money on it...

...I suppose just I could return the 55-200 lens...but replace it with what...???...

...one theory I have entertained is that the zoom ring will loosen in time and not move the lens...right aboot when I get used to it...

...I still don't know what I am gong to do with it...the movement is annoying if nothing else...but it would be frustrating to jump through hoops to encounter the same issue...