Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And we have a new Canon adapter - from Sigma (with an important message I think)
Made by Sigma:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/blog/...erter.html

It will be interesting to compare it with the existing Metabones etc... (and in any case competition is good). In the meantime, it's interesting to note that, being made by Sigma, we have the warranty that it is well integrated with the Sigma lenses in the Canon mount. 

I think that there's also a "message" behind it: if you look at the "Sigma Global Vision Lens Compatibility Chart" you see that a number of Canon mount lenses are enumerated together with the current native, E-mount lenses. Basically I interpret it as Sigma saying "these are our lenses for the Sony E-mount" - I mean, now that they have a Sigma adapter they are saying that their Canon mount lenses _are_ also the one for the Sony E-mount. It's probably a nice move to avoid investing in duplicating mounts and still being able to offer an official solution - and an answer to my question about why third parties are not producing long teles for the E-mount.

I mean: after all, a Sigma Canon mount + Sigma adapter _is_ a E-mount lens, just with one more moving part.

Just curious to see whether Tamron will follow.

Together with the fact that the new A6300 AF should perform very well, my privileged hypothesis for a long tele now is now aligning to Sigma... Of course, it all depends on the real performance. I hope somebody will test them soon.

Thoughts?

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
I already wrote in the other Sigma thread "The adapter MC-11 is a cool move for all Canonistas trying to wet their toes with mirrorless. Poor Nikon, the trains are moving and they still keep their locomotive in the shed."

Canon lenses on Sony cameras apparently are a good match. Sigma lenses with Canon mount as well, I just wonder if they keep the USB-dock customization (OS behaviour, manual focus override sensitivity, AF-ranges), when "adapting" to a mirrorless system.

I found it interesting also. I've long liked Sony bodies since my Alpha mount days, but Canon lenses won me over. Mixing the two could be interesting, although the newer bodies with the better AF in them aren't exactly low cost.

So possible uses of the is adapter include: Canon users trying Sony bodies, Sony users trying Canon lenses (not just from Sigma). The lines are blurred slightly more than they have been. Still, adapting only makes real sense in limited scenarios. The best solution will still tend towards a native E-mount lens.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
"Sigma thread"

Where is it? :-)

"trying Canon lenses (not just from Sigma)"

Sure. My curiosity is about the quality of the integration: it's the first time we have an adapter made by the same manufacturer of the lens (I mean, obviously, Canon doesn't make adapters). Could it mean that we won't have to pay a trade-off in performance? Would it be possible the AF speed is kept unchanged? Of course, only tests will tell.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:"Sigma thread"

Where is it? :-)
I was referring to this one: http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/top...f18-aps-c/

The adapter is nice, but the other products from Sigma are also interesting.

As for the adapters: Sony and Leica are making their own as well, but only for their own lenses.

Deleted
I just was on Sigma's website, since "Sigma-rumors" fell into pre-winter sleep.

For all Canon users, Sigma owners: Please check your lenses for updates:

http://www.sigma-global.com/download/en/information.html 

Some of them come for the adaptor, others just to improve focus accuracy.