Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project...Bokeh Monster...Pentacon 135mm F2.8 ..."15 Blades" Zebra.
Hi guys,

Everyone wants to be a "hipster" these days, I'm still not sure what they are really, in my day they were trousers that hung from the hips, still anyway, I don't want to be left out.....so I bought a "hipster lens"

The:

Pentacon 135mm F2.8....15 blader ..Zebra version......Bokeh monster....With a name like that it's got to be good!   Only five elements and it looks like single lens coatings, it's absolutely built like a tank.

From Ebay at £57 listed as good condition with slight misting at the edges of the front element from a Polish seller.......it arrived this morning.....looked good and, with a metal lens-hood. The front and rear elements were cleaned in a quarter of an hour.....fine!

The project is to use the lens on all four of my camera bodies, the Pentax K01/K3.....and the Nikon D7100 but it's main use will be on the Nikon D750 FF, where it's bokeh will be at it's smoothest and it should be a little sharper as well.

The problem is... although the Pentax adapter gives infinity focus without any additional optics. In it's standard form the non optical  M42-Nikon F  adapter will not, the lens needs to be closer to the sensor.

The Pentax registration distance is 45.46

The Nikon   registration distance is 46.5......so the Pentacon need to be 1.04 mm closer to the Nikon sensor to achieve IF.  (please check this for me BC?)

However the M42-Nikon F chinese adapter has a flange thickness of 0.9mm so overall I will need to approach the D750 sensor by about 2mm.

The Pentacon's lens mount is a solid demountable affair that has plenty of thickness, 1mm can be turned off the flange collar that sits up against the rear of the lens and there is 4mm of thickness behind the M42 mounting thread, so I shouldn't have a problem finding the remaining distance. When mounting the Pentax adapter an appropriate spacer will have to be fitted. 

There's the project, I'm still waiting for the adapters, the UK post is a joke, the lens arrived in three and a half days from Poland.

BTW. I was also worried about the rear of the lens hitting the mirror, but even at infinity focus the rear element is well recessed.

Check out the blades!

That's a museum lens, not a hipster lens  Big Grin

Wish you lots of fun with getting it backwards towards the very vulnerable mirror

Quote:Hi guys,
             Everyone wants to be a "hipster" these days, I'm still not sure what they are really, in my day they were trousers that hung from the hips, still anyway, I don't want to be left out.....so I bought a "hipster lens"
The:
    Pentacon 135mm F2.8....15 blader ..Zebra version......Bokeh monster....With a name like that it's got to be good!   Only five elements and it looks like single lens coatings, it's absolutely built like a tank.

From Ebay at £57 listed as good condition with slight misting at the edges of the front element from a Polish seller.......it arrived this morning.....looked good and, with a metal lens-hood. The front and rear elements were cleaned in a quarter of an hour.....fine!

The project is to use the lens on all four of my camera bodies, the Pentax K01/K3.....and the Nikon D7100 but it's main use will be on the Nikon D750 FF, where it's bokeh will be at it's smoothest and it should be a little sharper as well.
 The problem is... although the Pentax adapter gives infinity focus without any additional optics. In it's standard form the non optical  M42-Nikon F  adapter will not, the lens needs to be closer to the sensor.
 The Pentax registration distance is 45.46
 The Nikon   registration distance is 46.5......so the Pentacon need to be 1.04 mm closer to the Nikon sensor to achieve IF.  (please check this for me BC?)
However the M42-Nikon F chinese adapter has a flange thickness of 0.9mm so overall I will need to approach the D750 sensor by about 2mm.
 The Pentacon's lens mount is a solid demountable affair that has plenty of thickness, 1mm can be turned off the flange collar that sits up against the rear of the lens and there is 4mm of thickness behind the M42 mounting thread, so I shouldn't have a problem finding the remaining distance. When mounting the Pentax adapter an appropriate spacer will have to be fitted. 
There's the project, I'm still waiting for the adapters, the UK post is a joke, the lens arrived in three and a half days from Poland.

BTW. I was also worried about the rear of the lens hitting the mirror, but even at infinity focus the rear element is well recessed.

Check out the blades
It occurred to me that if you bought it as bokeh monster, you have no real need to get it closer to the D750. After all, you then won't use this lens anywhere near infinity? Same as my FL 55mm f1.2 not clearing the mirror at about (and past) the 10 meter mark. Not an issue really, 2mm with e 135mm lens when one uses it for closer than infinity stuff.

And yes, the F-mount has a flange distance of 46,5mm, and M42 one of 45.46mm (I wonder why they chose that specific distance).
Quote:That's a museum lens, not a hipster lens  Big Grin

Wish you lots of fun with getting it backwards towards the very vulnerable mirror 
Klaus said the Jupiter 3  50mm  F1.5 is a lens for hipsters......if a lens tester doesn't know what's what, then who does?

Interesting project. So much stuff to play with ... ;-)

Quote:It occurred to me that if you bought it as bokeh monster, you have no real need to get it closer to the D750. After all, you then won't use this lens anywhere near infinity? Same as my FL 55mm f1.2 not clearing the mirror at about (and past) the 10 meter mark. Not an issue really, 2mm with e 135mm lens when one uses it for closer than infinity stuff.

And yes, the F-mount has a flange distance of 46,5mm, and M42 one of 45.46mm (I wonder why they chose that specific distance).
 Bokeh the foreground?

They chose it because no one else would be stupid enough to use it of course!
Quote: Bokeh the foreground?

They chose it because no one else would be stupid enough to use it of course!
No, just not focussing at infinity. If the adapter you found really just adds 0.9mm flange distance, and the resulting flange distance is just about 2.3mm too large, you are basically shooting with a 2.3mm extension tube, with for 135mm is not a lot. Perfect for a bokeh lens as you then won't use it for infinity focus.
there's a nice camera suiting this lens coming out. With that one, you'de be the hipster!

Zenith back in life hell, they even sell it with the appropriate ammount of dust on it Huh . Maybe it's even radioactive? Super device for some holidays at lake Karatschai in Tscheljabinsk!  :mellow:

Other question is, you wanna be a photog or a hipster? Lens only does not make a hipster.

Quote:No, just not focussing at infinity. If the adapter you found really just adds 0.9mm flange distance, and the resulting flange distance is just about 2.3mm too large, you are basically shooting with a 2.3mm extension tube, with for 135mm is not a lot. Perfect for a bokeh lens as you then won't use it for infinity focus.
 Isn' it 46.5- 45.46 =  1.04mm + 0.9mm = 1.94mm?....anyway...

The first step will be to try the lens on the Nikon with the adapter that has the 0.9mm flange in between the lens and the camera mount and we will see what I've got...........from what I've read though I can expect a 5mt MFD......on a 135mm lens that's head and shoulders shots.......fairly constricting....and not what I had in mind......I would like to do the odd video as well........and "bathe" in that lovely transition between close focus and then focusing out to infinity with the lens fully open to reveal those otherwise mysterious backdrops.

Plan "A" is still on!
Quote:there's a nice camera suiting this lens coming out. With that one, you'de be the hipster!

Zenith back in life hell, they even sell it with the appropriate ammount of dust on it Huh . Maybe it's even radioactive? Super device for some holidays at lake Karatschai in Tscheljabinsk!  :mellow:

Other question is, you wanna be a photog or a hipster? Lens only does not make a hipster.
 After ordering the lens, I felt  psychologically obligated to these "where it's at modern dudes" which resulted in my ordering my latest "T shirt" with;

"I'm a Bokehlicious Hipster"....................  emblazoned in 'huge fluorescent pink' letters across my chest.

That statement alone will classify me as a photog and a hipster!

This Zenith revival set against the ten zillion existing S/H models that hang around the world unsold on Internet sites is going to require another word for it's new clients........

........oops you'll have to excuse me there's a delivery van at the door............Ah! my T shirt.......right, where do I sign? .........thanks...... have a nice day! 

Well don't you know it fits me like a glove?........no going back now........Hey..... I'm a Hipster!......

..yes indeedie!!!!!!