Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next lens review: Nikon AF-S 24mm f/1.8 G ED (FX)
Very nice, I like it a lot:

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/10...rafs2418ff
Editor
opticallimits.com

Hmmm...

Quote:At this price point, however, it competes with Sigma's 24mm f/1.4 Art lens, which does not offer the same level of sharpness, but even more creative potential with its faster f/1.4 aperture

The Sigma is a tiny bit better in center and worse off center - but to say in general, the Sigma has not the same level of sharpness to me appears incorrect. Wide open both are the same and at f/2.0 the Sigma is better in center (3795 vs 3491 lw). Also, the Sigma is cheaper  :blink: . Interesting

And again - if you find the time, do some AF tests at close range if the Nikkor hits the spot wide open - back or front focus is for these kind of shots a source of disappointment. With the Sigma dock, these problems do not disappear entirely as PDAF is kind of guess work, but I got more keepers. But then, to be honest: If I use one of the new Nikons with (sort of) decent LV, that's a workaround as well.

And the Nikkor has a rubber gasket which in some situations can be helpful.

Anyway, I find it tough to decide between the Sigma and the Nikkor f/1.8, but easy to decide wether you go for the Nikkor f/1.4 or that one in your latest test. The f/1.8 line once again left the f/1.4 behind in terms of value for money. The only thing the f/1.4 line (at least the 24, 35 and 85) are the magnesium bodies which can take a real tough bump.
Looks excellent indeed. This is kind of lens I would go for if I would be shooting 35 mm sensor camera. 24mm wide-angle with great performance, price and size. Not many like that out there today.

Great to see the review, Marcus.
  Thanks Marcus!

The recent Nikon FF lenses are good performers and this one is not so expensive considering the overall performance...nice the weight is low

....but same old MF play.

good optical performance.......it's just Nikonites cannot satisfy themselves fully in terms of the build!

Still battling along with the AF 24mm F2.8D  and will live with it.

@JoJu: the price for the Sigma and the Nikkor were roughly the same when I looked them up last week. However, with "level of sharpness" I was referring to the complete picture, not a single point or aperture setting.

In terms of AF: close focus with wide angles is always a little guess work, it seems, but that's a general issue of PDAF and not the flaw of a given lens. However, I have owned and used the Nikon 24/1.8 for almost a year now and haven't had any real issues in terms of AF. When precision is required, there's always your way of using LV, or my way of using the viewfinder and do a little bit of focus bracketing (if the subject allows).

Fully with you on your conclusion: most of the Nikkor f/1.8 primes compete with Sigma Art primes, and in the end it comes down to whether one needs the extra speed and maybe better build of the Sigma or prefers the lower weight of the Nikons.
Editor
opticallimits.com

I was very surprised about the Nikon being a bit more pricey than the Sigma.

That bit about the AF adjustment came from some "insect hunting" shots when LV was no option and manual focus too slow. In all test rows of Sigma lenses I had a different value for close up then for far away distances. One can argue, Sigma should do a better job, but I see some backfocus also on Nikon lenses.

Focus bracketing will be easier with your new D850 (focus stacking without stacking) and a lot quicker.

Besides, yesterday evening I connected the D850 to Capture One (11 beta) and I saw not only the normal camera settings but also the ones in the menus. I even could rename the names of my bank settings - and change them. Very cool.

All the sweet talk and no HR? Smile

Quote:All the sweet talk and no HR? Smile
I really struggled, to be honest. In fact, HR was in the review while I wrote it, but I removed it in the end. Sharpness and bokeh would justify it, vignetting doesn't.

It's still a great lens, with or without the green thumb Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

The out of focus tree branches in the top left of this photo look strange to me. Any thoughts?

Regarding vignetting, it seems some recents lenses often end up higher than older ones, although typicaly they grow in front end diameter.

This 24 mm Nikkor ends up close to 3 stops. For example old-new pair of Nikkor 35/2 vs 35/1.8 or Canon 35/2 old vs new show simikar patterns.

It is clear that bigger lenses allow better performance overall, flatter and higher MTF and better corrections. But vigneting? Is there some kind of trade-off correlation? Just curious.