Opticallimits

Full Version: Pentax Full Frame; first glimpse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
@BC You're reading something I didn't intend in there. Still, you already know the advantages and disadvantages of with or without mirrors, and you know I'm still primarily a Canon user so I have no hatred of mirrors here.

I guess my point is, what if you want to offer the mirrorless experience, but don't want or can't create a new lens lineup for it? You lose the possible size reduction and keep with SLR lenses. If you're aiming higher end anyway, the size isn't critical, and maybe even turn it around to pack in more "stuff" like a half decent battery size...

I'd like a FF camera with the K-Mount. If I screw a DA lens onto the body I'd only use the center part of the sensor, if I'd use a FA lens I'd use the complete sensor. This would be fine for me.

For Pentax it's not so difficult to build a 'classic' DSLR body that contains K-Mount and a bigger sensor.

Does this make sense ?

Quote:I'd like a FF camera with the K-Mount. If I screw a DA lens onto the body I'd only use the center part of the sensor, if I'd use a FA lens I'd use the complete sensor. This would be fine for me.

For Pentax it's not so difficult to build a 'classic' DSLR body that contains K-Mount and a bigger sensor.

Does this make sense ?
That is exactly what Pentax is doing

Guess what's the subject of this thread  Wink

It cannot be a K-mount FF DSLR body, but a K-mount FF product line. And Ricoh Imaging started introducing the first products from this K-mount FF product line this spring: the D FA 150-450mm, and more recently the 24-70mm (a 70-200mm is delayed for last-minute changes).

Expect a camera announcement at CP+ (and, of course, more lenses).

The teaser site was once again updated (are they targeting once every 2 weeks updates?).

This week's subject: the crop function. They're showing low res samples taken with DA* 55mm, DA* 300mm, DA 560mm (this one being declared 'incompatible with FF' by a certain Pentax forum Wink ).

http://www.pentax.com/en/pentaxff/

davidmanze

Quote:Samsung did EVERYTHING wrong. And they even tried it with DSLRs before going mirrorless ...

" I don't think Samsung did everything wrong at all"......(it was just that it took a while to finally get it right)......which in boardroom terms was too long........otherwise you could say the same about Sony........Sony went through a ton of directions and models before they "fell" upon the right route and now they are on track all that doubtless frighteningly expensive route is starting to pay dividends......

Samsung did the same with many uninspiring cameras until the NX1....in my view they were on the threshold of having created a winning formula....but financially someone in the Boardroom decided to pull the plug....maybe the difference was that Sony had lost so many of it's markets with TV/computers that they knew they had to go the course with something.....Samsung has been gaining!

I've some hopes for the division., but they are hopes!

Pentax on the other-hand is a company that had it all and allowed it to slip away and are now showing how hard it is to retrieve it all back.  This FF DSLR will sell to die hard Pentaxians who have legacy lenses, but their new FF optics are sparse and not cheap. Unless they can pull the rabbit out of the hat with their new body it's going to be a struggling attracting new buyers from Canonikon land, without talking about their constant delays.

Their saving grace is they have been operating in the black!

Well, not cheap? Have you noticed the price of the Pentax 24-70mm f/2.8 and 150-450mm ?

RELATIVELY speaking they are very affordable. Especially the 24-70mm - this one is an absolute bargain.

Well, Dave, the question is, will you give up your Nikon to go back to Pentax? Anybody willing to pay for Pentax FF? I mean, not the usual "if they offer this or that, I'll jump the boat!" - no "ifs" please, just, "hell yes, I've been waiting for Pentax all the last ten years, now I already preordered, even

1. if the lens choice is not that big and third party lenses are dated or unavailable
  2. if all other accessoires are made for Canon or Nikon or from Sony
  3. if all RAW converters will take a little while to go Pentax - or I decide to use this fat DNG file format which usually wastes more disk space than anything else around except TIF
  4. if it remains questionable into which future we're steering: 60 year old mirror concept or mirrorless right now?"
Pentax once had gorgeous offerings for Professionals, the whole LX system was sort of on par with a Nikon F3 or better - but not many were interested. I don't know about the market share and for sure I'm not always happy with Nikon's decisions. But if it comes to Pentax, I'm done. Made my experiences and sold the whole stuff, never looked back. The screen is very innobative IMO - but that's just one detail. At least and after decades, articulated screen made it into a Nikon Pro DX, so it IS cool and usefull. But you're too late, Pentax. Again.

robbiec

Specs as known at this moment in time:

36.4MP CMOS sensor. No low pass filter. 
- Real resolution (pixel shift) 
- Image processing engine PRIME IV 
- Sensor Size: 35.9 x 24.0mm 
- Video is full HD 60p 
- 4K interval movie 
- 14-bit RAW 
- DR II 
- KAF2 mount (KAF3, KAF2, KAF, KA, compatible with power zoom lens) 
- AF sensor SAFOX12. AF point is 33 points (25 points are cross-type). -3EV Correspondence 
- AF assist light 
- Viewfinder magnification 0.70 times. 100% field of view 
- Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen
- LCD monitor 3.2 inches 1,037,000 dot. Flexible tilting 
- GPS built-in. Wi-Fi built-in 
- Shutter unit of the compact new design. Durability is 300,000 shots 
- Shutter speed is 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds. Synchro speed is 1/200 sec 
- Media SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I). Dual card slot 
- USB terminal (USB2.0, micro B), HDMI terminal (type D) 
- Microphone jack, a headphone jack, X contact 
- 5-axis camera shake correction. Effective for five stops. 
- Electronic Level 
- Photometry sensor 86000 pixel RGB sensor 
- ISO range is 100-204800 
- Continuous shooting 4.4 frames / sec (full size). 6.5 frames / sec. (APS-C) 
- Buffer 70 shots JPEG, 17 shots RAW (when full-size 4.4 frames / sec.) 
- The battery is D-LI90 
- Battery life is 760 shots 
- The body is magnesium alloy and stainless steel. Dust and water resistant. -10 Degrees of resistance to low temperature 
- Size: 136.5 x110 x 85.5mm 
- Weight: 925g

I think the ISO is incorrect - confirmation in a day or two.

Lens to be released:

<b>HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR</b>
- HD coating
- Optical formula: 18 elements (including 3 ED elements and 3 aspherical elements) in 13 groups
- Minimum focusing distance: 0.28m
- Maximum magnification: 0.20x
- Number of aperture blades: 9
- Drip-proof (WR)
- Ultrasonic motor
- Quick Shift focus
- No filter can be mounted
- Super Protect coating on the outer surface of the front element
- Total length: 143.5mm
- Maximum diameter: 98.5mm
- Weight: 1,040g

<b>HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR</b>
- HD coating
- Optical formula: 15 elements (including 2 aspherical elements, 1 ED element and 1 made of glass with anomalous dispersion) in 11 groups
- Quick Shift focus
- Minimum focusing distance: 0.5m
- Maximum magnification: 0.22x
- Filter size: 62mm
- Number of aperture blades: 9
- Drip-proof (WR)
- Super Protect coating on the outer surface of the front element
- DC motor
- Total length: 86.5mm
- Maximum diameter: 73mm
- Weight: 440g

The 15-30 is a "Pentax"-labelled Tamron (except the WR-part? Is the Tamron originally weather-resistant?) Doesn't have to be a bad thing. What Leica can do with brushed up Panasonics and Hasselblad with Sonys, Ricoh can also do. I just don't think, servicewise it's a cool idea. One lens to Pentax, the other to Tamron.

USB 2.0 is a joke, a pretty bad one, too. And the rest are nice specs. Just: who cares about another FF DSLR?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5