Opticallimits

Full Version: 17 inch notebook recommendation for editing and presentation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

haring

Hi!

I need a 17 windows laptop which I would like to use for client presentations (wedding photography) and editing.

Until recently, I had a 17 macbook pro but I would like to move away from mac.

I wild like to have something presentable. I don't really want to have a gaming laptop because it is just too futuristic looking. I liked the clean look of my old macbook pro.

Do you have anything you can recommend?

Thanks!

Not 17 inch but what about the new Dell XPS 15. I just ordered one. :-)

My laptop (Dell XPS 15 9550) arrived in the meanwhile but I am not sure whether I will keep it.

It took me hours to find out how to fix the touchpad (very poor responsiveness out of the box). However, I can't fix the battery life.

The 3840×2160px infinity screen is exceedingly awesome but it seems to suck an enormous amount of energy.

3h of playing movies (which isn't stressing the system really) are sufficient to drain all life out of the battery.

And the battery is really big (84 Wh). 

Seems as if only Apple can play the game  unfortunately.

Recognising as users we want things to just work out of the box, but did you check in case something else was gobbling up power in the background?

I'm overdue to replace my laptop as it is 5 processor generations old now, but I'm not in a hurry while I wait for Skylake to become more widely available in models. How do you find Windows handling running 4k on a small screen? Presumably you would need scaling to see anything, as I found even 1080p on a 15 without scaling a bit of an eye test.

I'm also due to get a replacement work laptop, where I'm told it would be some time this quarter. Will see how that goes. We get a choice of Dells or Apple, but I haven't checked to see if they will implode if I ask for an Apple with Windows installed... personally I haven't been impressed with Dell build in general, but they use them as they have the best business support apparently.
You have to buy and install Windows on a MacBook yourself, as far as I know.

I simply don't know any nice looking "non-Mac" laptops, but that's personal taste, I guess. Sometimes panasonic watched my eyes, they make some advanced stuff.And sell it only in Japan Sad

If it's Mac OS what you don't like: MacBooks are also good in running Windows. -_-

Quote:You have to buy and install Windows on a MacBook yourself, as far as I know.
Remember this is a work machine I'm talking about. They wouldn't support that. There would still be hardware quirks to deal with so it is no win situation for me.
Quote:My laptop (Dell XPS 15 9550) arrived in the meanwhile but I am not sure whether I will keep it.

It took me hours to find out how to fix the touchpad (very poor responsiveness out of the box). However, I can't fix the battery life.

The 3840×2160px infinity screen is exceedingly awesome but it seems to suck an enormous amount of energy.

3h of playing movies (which isn't stressing the system really) are sufficient to drain all life out of the battery.

And the battery is really big (84 Wh). 

Seems as if only Apple can play the game  unfortunately.

I have the older m3800 version of this XPS with 3840x2160 screen and it is serious garbage so I would suggest to avoid Dell if possible. Their QC is appalling. First brand new model had a DOA tochpad shipped. The screen also had serious defects with some strange white hot spots. The next 3 (!) replacement screens had the same issue, after which I gave up on calling the tech to replace them. A week after that the 1TB SSD completely died after shutdown and I lost a few days worth of work. After complaining i was provided with a complete replacement laptop. This one had the same white hot spots plus serious banding in grey areas. The screen has since been replaced another 3(!!) times to finally get one that does not have serious flaws. If this was not a work issued computer I would have dumped it a long time ago. It is a joke that they call this thing a business laptop considering the QC and that you cannot really use a dock so everything has to be plugged in and out individually. Ridiculous waste of $4000AUD for my employer.

Some other issue on a factory configured Windows 8.1 model:

- Bluetooth doesn't work after resume from sleep

- Hibernate does not work

- There is static noise in the headphone line

- Fan once ramps up to full throttle can stay there well after any cpu activity

- Sam issues with battery life as you so now i just use it in 2048x1115 mode

I could go on..

Seriously, dump the dell and get a Mac or wait until the new HP Zbook Skylake models are announced. I have used Hp workstation laptops before this one and never really had any issues aside from crappy colour depth screens (which was why I tried the 4k dell). however I heard the new ones will have some nice screens. There is a portable Zbook15U which is similiar size to the XPS/m3800 with quadro type graphics which is probably a good option. Otherwise 14" model looks good too. And they both have trackpoints so you dont have to put up with the stupid trackpads, which even on Apple are inferior once you know how to use a trackpoint - never have to take your hands of the keyboard again!

As of now I have had no further issues with the Dell XPS 15 (9550).

The infinity screen is superb with no light bleeding. Deep blacks, punchy colors. 

Hibernate works but kicks in too fast from sleep. Booting from hibernate takes too long given the specs (core i7 skylake & ssd).

The battery remains soso although it's not bad in "surf" mode (5h maybe).

The speakers aren't great but acceptable (but then my Toshiba laptop is better than the Mac here).

The build quality is mac quality - I'd even say that I prefer the soft-touch materials around the keyboard over the Mac metal surface

The fan goes on when the batteries are charged. In normal mode they are fairly quiet, often not on at all.

The touchpad isn't awesome but good (worse than on the Mac). The keyboard is very good (on par).

Will decide tomorrow.

I am returning the Dell laptop. At the end of the day 3h battery life are no longer acceptable in the late year 2015.

Pages: 1 2