Opticallimits

Full Version: I need a new machine ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Those 5Ds R files take forever to process. Just under a minute per file ... (core i7 quad core, gaming grade).

Are quantum computers available yet ?

*sigh*

Shouldn't they take about double that of a 24MP raw?

As for the i7, there are rather a lot of them. Things have moved on a lot from 1st generation ones to today's models. If the software is well optimised for multi-core, you could look at some of the 6 core models, unless your wallet is very deep and you can get even more cores in Xeon territory.

I donnu why it takes much longer (using DPP).

The computer isn't excessively fast by today's max standards but the fastest consumer-grade processors are only about twice as fast - probably much less so in real life conditions with all the I/O (I got a very fast SSD already).

The machine is pretty darn fast; I suppose you could add more cores if the software supports it but have you actually profiled if it is cpu or i/o bound ? I spend a lot of time on this sort of stuff and while I noted that you have an ssd not all ssd are created equal  (io benchmarks are very mis-leading esp when it comes to very specific operations).

Btw how much memory do you have ? One would presume that 4GB would be enough if the raw file is only 72MB; hum. Well I hate to break the news but i'm not sure a quantum computer is going to fix this issue. I am curious have you tried to create a ram disk and operate 100% off of the ram disk ?

Quote:The machine is pretty darn fast; I suppose you could add more cores if the software supports it but have you actually profiled if it is cpu or i/o bound ? I spend a lot of time on this sort of stuff and while I noted that you have an ssd not all ssd are created equal  (io benchmarks are very mis-leading esp when it comes to very specific operations).

Btw how much memory do you have ? One would presume that 4GB would be enough if the raw file is only 72MB; hum. Well I hate to break the news but i'm not sure a quantum computer is going to fix this issue. I am curious have you tried to create a ram disk and operate 100% off of the ram disk ?

Well, I got a Samsung Evo 830 SSD. Again there's faster stuff out there but this isn't bad.

RAM is not an issue according to the system monitor (takes about 6GB thus less than half).

The CPU and disk are at 100% - which is good so there's balance.

I haven't tried a RAM disk yet but we are talking about a couple of hundred GBs here ;-)

That all being said - I just noticed that I still had NR activated in DPP ... ;-) ... so without it's now down to 40sec. (the DPP's NR is quite aggressive at ISO 200 already, BTW).

FWIW, I am talking about the RAW conversion. The analysis isn't so bad.
BTW, the max LW/PH isn't quite as high as you might think.

I'm curious what all the disk activity is about. Initially loading the raw shouldn't be significant at all, and if you're not short on ram, what is it doing? Double check you don't have over-aggressive anti-virus software? To me that is the biggest killer of general Windows system performance.

I'm not familiar with DPP myself to comment further on that.

Quote:I'm curious what all the disk activity is about. Initially loading the raw shouldn't be significant at all, and if you're not short on ram, what is it doing? Double check you don't have over-aggressive anti-virus software? To me that is the biggest killer of general Windows system performance.

I'm not familiar with DPP myself to comment further on that.

Well, there can be 8 threads (4 cores with hyper-threading) that can read/process/write data concurrently.

The monitoring doesn't suggest that the anti-virus tool has a significant impact here.

soLong

Deleted.

Klaus, I would still disable the AV software, or if you can exclude this specific type of files from scanning.

Is ACR faster?
Pages: 1 2