Opticallimits

Full Version: New EF 50mm f1.8 STM to be introduced soon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think a large part of the success of the 1.8 II is the low low price. Amongst other Canon shooters I know, it is usually the first prime lens they get, and in a couple of cases it may be their only used lens (on APS-C body). Be interesting to see where the STM falls... everything else is practically secondary.

I agree that the price should be low for it to be as popular or more so than the current 50mm f1.8. 

Looking at the specs, it probably will be. 160 grams, 6 elements in 5 groups. Compare that to the EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM (125 grams, 6 elements, MSRP $149.99).

Officially announced.

http://www.canon-europe.com/for_home/pro..._f1.8_stm/

Old EF 50mm f1.8 II MTF:

[Image: ef_50_18mtf.gif]

New EF 50mm f1.8 STM MTF:

[Image: mtf.png]

Yeah, that looks the same. Same optics?

Old EF 50mm f1.8 II:

[Image: Canon-EF-50mm-f1.8-II-lens-construction.jpg]

Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM:

[Image: lens-construction.png]

Pretty much.

So what did they do? Metal mount, better built. STM gear type drive (the slow STM type that the pancakes have), new coatings, new rounded 7 blades aperture design. Price still is low, at $129.99 MRSP.

So still the same ok-ish but nothing great bokeh rendering partly due to outlines in the OOF highlight circles. Still compact and very light weight (160 grams, up 30 compared to the old one). Will be interesting to see if the AF accuracy is much improved.

At first I thought I'd be all over this, but if the optics are the same, I don't think I'll bother. At least until my 50/1.8 II falls apart completely, and even then it's a big if.

YMMV. Smile

Yep, unless you have AF accuracy problems, replacing it with the new one would not have a big priority.