Opticallimits

Full Version: User friendly Camera suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
At the local photography club, we have a weekly online photo contest , what caught my attention was my youngest sister, I invited her to join the club, without much expectations,  and I am surprised her photos were selected as winner three times in the last two months , and that against some well known pros.

She was using my 750D, however she was complaining that my camera had "too many buttons" as I know her, the only button she uses is the shutter button.

Any suggestions for  a user friendly small camera ? knowing she never bothers swapping lenses 

Let her choose. Don't come up with suggestions from a couple of old guys who don't know her needs. Maybe she's just happy with something in pink - and why isn't she using her smartphone like all persons at her age?

Quote:Let her choose. Don't come up with suggestions from a couple of old guys who don't know her needs. Maybe she's just happy with something in pink - and why isn't she using her smartphone like all persons at her age?
Well she is using her smartphone but recently she "borrowed" my 750D and found its pictures  "much better" so unless I get her a good alternative she is keeping my camra  Rolleyes  Rolleyes  Rolleyes  Rolleyes
The usual suspects. Sony A6000 (A6300 and A6500 are too expensive), almost any Fujifilm camera (X-E2, X-E3, X-T10, X-T20 or the fixed lens X100T or X100F). Any Canon xxxD (They are all the same anyway). The larger the camera, the sooner she'll stop carrying it around.

toni-a, you already wanted a new camera anyway  B)  :lol:

The usual suspects do have some buttons, as far as I remember... if she doens't change lenses (but I guess, she zooms a lot?), so why not a bridge?. 

How about an EOS1300D?

Quote:At the local photography club, we have a weekly online photo contest , what caught my attention was my youngest sister, I invited her to join the club, without much expectations,  and I am surprised her photos were selected as winner three times in the last two months , and that against some well known pros.

She was using my 750D, however she was complaining that my camera had "too many buttons" as I know her, the only button she uses is the shutter button.

Any suggestions for  a user friendly small camera ? knowing she never bothers swapping lenses 

Well, how about the Canon SL2 (200D).  Due to the smaller size, it physically has fewer buttons.  As simple as that.
A panasonic GM5 with an Olympus 17mm f1.8 or Pany 15mm f1.7 :-) Tiny yet versatile.

If she likes to photograph landscapes, pair it with a Pany 14 f2.5 or Oly 9-18. If she's into portraits then pair it with a 45 f1.8.

Great IQ in a minimalistic package.

Cute. I would have a liked to recommend Panasonic as well, but I simply have no overview about their current line-up. It's just that "Panasonic" at some point always pops up when it's about well performing, yet often underrated cameras.

I'd suggest a different approach: if she likes what she's doing and the results she gets, offer her to explain some of the basic functions on a camera, and how adjustments influence the results (aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation) or how to use them creatively (on a basic level). And which of the many buttons are really important for this... it's just a few in the end.
Quote:A panasonic GM5 with an Olympus 17mm f1.8 or Pany 15mm f1.7 :-) Tiny yet versatile.

If she likes to photograph landscapes, pair it with a Pany 14 f2.5 or Oly 9-18. If she's into portraits then pair it with a 45 f1.8.

Great IQ in a minimalistic package.
Great suggestion indeed.

Alternative for the (Oly) 45 F/1.8 would be the Panny 42.5 F/1.7 - it is cheaper, slightly better, has IS (nice with the GM5 of course), and it has very nice OOF rendering too.

Another alternative could be, be it with more buttons, an Oly E-M10, I or II, with the 14-42 EZ pancake, or the Panny 12-32 pancake (good option for the GM5 as well, obviously).

I do think first lens should obviously be something she would be comfortable shooting with.

Considering size and weight, while retaining very good IQ, and hence "shootability", I'd consider this path a very good option.

Kind regards, Wim
Pages: 1 2