Opticallimits

Full Version: new Samyang 135mm f/2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

davidmanze

Mounts agogo!

Wow.

It makes complete logical sense to share the basic lens across DSLR mounts, I'm surprised that they just extended the tube down for the mirrorless APS-C/m43 mounts. At that size and weight I certainly don't want one.

Now if they had built in a focal reducer and made it a ~100mm f/1.4....I'd be all in.

Scythels

You don't want the size and weight yet you would accept more weight...

Designing focal reducers is a complex process, and the price with one would be a fair bit higher.

Quote:You don't want the size and weight yet you would accept more weight...

Designing focal reducers is a complex process, and the price with one would be a fair bit higher.

Yes.

This is my exact 'Full frame vs. Cropped' argument.  Why carry lenses designed for a different format, just re-badged for the smaller one?

I will carry weight if it is warranted, like for a 100mm/1.4 lens or something exotic. Or, alternately, I would buy a 135mm f/2 which was more compact and a lot lighter, as it would be if it was designed for the Fuji X/m43 format.

But to just take a lens with a too-big image circle and extend the tube down to the mount doesn't make much sense IMO. I'd rather pick up a Leica M 135mm, or in this case I'd even rather buy a Nikon/Pentax version and adapt it to Fuji X.

As for price, yes I understand that even designing a (non-focal reduced) Fuji X variant will cost R&D money.
http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/Samyang-13...-135mm-2-L

Some tests here.

Looks very promising compared to the 135L for two major things I care about: LoCA and general resolution. If this is verified at other tests (I'm in no hurry) I would replace my 135L with one. Note I *only* use my 135L for astrophotography so considerations may vary from "normal" users of a 135mm lens.

His 135L was clearly a bad one - see point A in the 2nd test. There is no way that the center of the image is worse than the borders C/D/E.

That being said - I continue to be surprised by Samyang.

Hopefully they got their quality control right though - they struggled with this in 2013 at least.

Good point, but the relative absence of LoCA on the Samyang is a major point for me. Needs a harsher test to be sure though.

Scythels

It seems to have some focus shift due to badly corrected spherical aberration.  All other aberrations seem to be quite well controlled.  After their new 50mm and now this I am beginning to think that samyang is designing their lenses with a workflow very dissimilar to other manufactures and strong weighting to off-axis (corner) performance.

Pages: 1 2 3