Opticallimits

Full Version: New Sony/Zeiss FE 16-35mm f4 OSS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.sony.de/electronics/kamera-ob...e/sel1635z

Looks handsome again. At €1349 it follows the price of the Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L IS USM to the letter.

If I had been shooting the A7 series I would've been all over this one (and not the 24-70). Hope it turns out a better performer, because pretty much none of the reviewers found the 24-70 to be worth the price.

Some of the first sample images show soft edges ...

ficofico

Some of the first sample images show good edges...
Where are any non PP corrected sample images to be seen?

ficofico

Faketastic

Quote:Some of the first sample images show soft edges ...

Show me one FF wide angle zoom that doesn't have soft edges. Sony bashing continues.
The new Canon 16-35mm f/4 L USM IS for example.

Or the Nikkor AF-S 14-28mm f/2.8 ED.

This is no Sony bashing. You will find such comments from me across all brands.

If you prefer to read that every lens on mother earth is great, this is the wrong place to be here.

The PZ mission is to put the finger in the wound - not to please perception or marketing blabla.

Sony has several outstanding lenses - the Zeiss 85/135, or the Sony 135 just to name a few.

BTW, have you ever heard that a manufacturer is loyal to users ? They only care about revenues/earnings - the rest is just a consequence of this. Thus why are users so loyal to manufacturers ?
Quote: 

The PZ mission is to put the finger in the wound - not to please perception or marketing blabla.

Sony has several outstanding lenses - the Zeiss 85/135, or the Sony 135 just to name a few.

... which makes PZ so useful IMHO. This year I've switched to Sony, and I'm pretty happy that here I've found the reviewer(s) splitting hairs with Sony products (and other brands, of course). It made me understand where's the limit - and then understanding that for me it's acceptable.

I think we can expect softer edges on this than on the Canon; with a complex wide zoom I doubt there's any real advantage to the shorter registration distance. And the Canon has a larger diameter, and is a little bigger. Allowing for equal optical expertise, and equal quality contraction and design, that ought to make the Canon a little better in the corners.

The interesting question is the extent to which Zony ought to try to make their lenses small. It's nice to have a small body, and of course there can be a few small prime lenses. But when you are going to have something as necessarily large as a full frame constant aperture zoom, maybe you would be better off having it a little bigger and better. 

But I can see how opinions may vary..

Pages: 1 2