Opticallimits

Full Version: The New "Bigron" or the old Nikon 300mm F4 af-s?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

wgfong206

Hi dear all,

I've been thinking adding a long focal length lens to my collection.

Right now i'm tore between the brand new Tamron 150-600mm and the old nikon 300mm AFS F4.

I had a friend of mine selling the nikon one with tc14eII @ $900 price tag, while amazon currently offer the new tamron @ $10XX.

I know the nikon is a legend given its all-positive review; but with the "almost" same price, Tamron offer a much well developed, modern superzoom lens with VC added.

I am not sure what i am going to do with these lens by now but i just really want to get one tele-lens.

Which one will you guys choose?

thank you.

Quote:Hi dear all,

I've been thinking adding a long focal length lens to my collection.

Right now i'm tore between the brand new Tamron 150-600mm and the old nikon 300mm AFS F4.

I had a friend of mine selling the nikon one with tc14eII @ $900 price tag, while amazon currently offer the new tamron @ $10XX.

I know the nikon is a legend given its all-positive review; but with the "almost" same price, Tamron offer a much well developed, modern superzoom lens with VC added.

I am not sure what i am going to do with these lens by now but i just really want to get one tele-lens.

Which one will you guys choose?

thank you.
The Tamron.

150-299mm range, 301-600mm range. 

Silent AF.

Faster AF.

Image stabilized.

Only plusses for the 300mm f4 I can think of: a tad smaller and it is lighter.

Quote:Only plusses for the 300mm f4 I can think of: a tad smaller and it is lighter.

...and f/4. Probably sharper. Maybe autofocus improvement too.

If you're seeing the 300mm/4 AFS *plus* the 1.4x e II teleconverter, that's one heck of a deal for $900.

I think your intended use is important when deciding between zoom and prime though.

wgfong206

Quote:...and f/4. Probably sharper. Maybe autofocus improvement too.

If you're seeing the 300mm/4 AFS *plus* the 1.4x e II teleconverter, that's one heck of a deal for $900.

I think your intended use is important when deciding between zoom and prime though.

Yea i know, it's too good for a deal like this and i really don't want to miss it.

But with less than 200 bucks i can get a brand new lens from Tamron with all the new features, but the used one from nikon is basically mint though.

I am thinking if people are trying to replace their Nikkor with this Tamron new lens.

But i really don't see much price drop on the 300mm F4 on the used market.

hard decision

davidmanze

I'd go for the Tamron every time at it's price point with it's all purpose focal range,  it's got solid reviews (in general) and it trounces the Bigma.
Do you need/want the faster lens? Do need/want the longer focal length? Is VR/VC a requirement?

Both lenses have very good IQ.

I have the Tammy and it is very nice, well worth the price but It likes good light.