Opticallimits

Full Version: Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

FlowtographyBerlin

Hey everyone,

To anyone who's interested, I did a not-so-unextensive comparison of the

Zeiss Otus 55mm/1.4,
Sigma 50mm/1.4 Art,
Nikkor 58mm/1.4G,
Nikkor 50mm/1.4G
Nikkor 50mm/1.8G

You can really see the results for every lens side by side with A/B sliders, with real-world images (and not of the mess on my desk or the back of my garden). Check out the comparison here.

Enjoy,

Flow

Nicely done. You can probably get away with less snarkiness towards the Nikkor 58mm because the images and your analysis speak for themselves!

That Sigma looks pretty darn good.

FlowtographyBerlin

@carpents: Thanks for your feedback! Yes, indeed. I was actually thinking if it was maybe a bit over the top, and it definitely is, but as I said in the review: Nikon started it.

davidmanze

Great review and analysis of these five lenses! 

I don't know if you followed the threads here about the Sigma and the Zeiss, I've had a bit of fun posting inter-stellar battles between the two lenses, (of which the Sigma was triumphant). A little bit of wit in a review and the kicking of butt lightens what can often be a pretty starchy subject.  You even managed to sneak in a sprinkler system comment!

In my opinion the 58mm Nikon more than deserved all that you gave it, at it's price point I would say that this lens insults photographers intelligence.

Well done!

FlowtographyBerlin

That's nicely put, with the insult. There has been so much feedback especially on the 58G that I might need to specify my conclusion a little in the article.

Quote: 

<div>Hey everyone,

To anyone who's interested, I did a not-so-unextensive comparison of the

Zeiss Otus 55mm/1.4,
Sigma 50mm/1.4 Art,
Nikkor 58mm/1.4G,
Nikkor 50mm/1.4G
Nikkor 50mm/1.8G

You can really see the results for every lens side by side with A/B sliders, with real-world images (and not of the mess on my desk or the back of my garden). Check out the comparison here.

Enjoy,

Flow

</div>
Great first post here at PZ.  But you've set the bar high for yourself for future posts!

Good to learn about your not-a-blog, I'll keep checking it out.

Studor13

Really good review. Thank you.

I have both the Nikon 50mm f1.4 and f1.8, and I agree with you that (probably due to sample variations) the f1.4 doesn't seem as sharp as the f1.8 wide-open. PZ's findings are that the f1.4 is sharper than the f1.8, so I was disappointed with my copy of the f1.4.

However, as you say the differences are so small that there is really nothing to complain about.

Could I please ask how/what you use (the program/plugin) to make the comparisons with this sliding of the arrows effect. I have a Wordpress blog and this interaction type of yours would be quite fun to do.

FlowtographyBerlin

Quote:Great first post here at PZ.  But you've set the bar high for yourself for future posts!

Good to learn about your not-a-blog, I'll keep checking it out.

Thanks for noticing that detail, Dave :-)

Quote:Could I please ask how/what you use (the program/plugin) to make the comparisons with this sliding of the arrows effect. I have a Wordpress blog and this interaction type of yours would be quite fun to do.

Sure, it's a plugin called Before-After-Viewer. There are many of those available on the net (the good ones are not for free, but they're worth the small amount you pay).

Studor13

Thank you Flowster.

I found something called twentytwenty which is free and seems to work fine (so far).

If you want to take a look:

http://www.thelightinbohinj.com/?p=2986

The 58 is getting so much ridicule that I'm almost starting to feel sorry for the poor thing... Almost. Wonder what Markus will find when he gets around to dissecting it in the test lab?
Pages: 1 2