Opticallimits

Full Version: Canon EF 14-18mm f5-5.6 IS STM ;)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yesterday I bought a Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM. First tested it on my EOS M to see if it had bad alignment or other issues, but all seemed quite ok.

I screwed off the mount, it encompasses the entire back of the lens, one single piece. I sawed off the part that protrudes into the FF mirror box too much (the mirror will hit it), sanded it down some more to be sure the back plate/mount clears the mirror, and screwed it back on again.

To my surprise, at 14mm the lens already does not vignet anymore (real vignetting I mean, not the light fall off variety). So, the lens is essentially a 14-18mm f5-5.6 lens on full frame! At 13mm black corners appear.

At 18mm f8:

[Image: gallery_10230_63_332082.jpg]

And at 14mm f8:

[Image: gallery_10230_63_188637.jpg]

Maybe not too bad, for a €269 lens that weighs a bit over 200 grams, and which has IS and silent AF? Makes for a nice light travel UWA I think. More testing this week (only finished adapting it 2 hours ago).

Beats the ubiquitous Samyang 14mm for this purpose I guess... Smaller, has AF, AE and IS, can use filters out of the box. Though this conversion is not for the faint of heart.
Well, it beats it with AF, AE and IS, can indeed use filters, and beats it with much lower distortion. But the Samyang beats this lens by a large margin in light fall off performance towards the corners, and corner sharpness (they get rather mushy with this lens). More test images to follow.

RE: sharpness: doesn't it get acceptable stopped down?

The overall sharpness gets pretty good, so it is not an issue for every shot. But the extreme corners remain mushy, a larger area at 14mm than at 18mm. I will post more images somewhere this week.

Would also be interested to see the mod too!

My Sigma 14/2.8 never really gets sharp in the extreme corners of APS-H frame, and it's a full frame lens weighing 655 grams. My point is, maybe it's naive to await miracles from this EF-S lens that weighs 1/3 of the Sigma...
Quote:My Sigma 14/2.8 never really gets sharp in the extreme corners of APS-H frame, and it's a full frame lens weighing 655 grams. My point is, maybe it's naive to await miracles from this EF-S lens that weighs 1/3 of the Sigma...
I'll be sure to make an APS-H crop for you to judge.

Quote:Would also be interested to see the mod too!
I'll make a photo of the "mutilated" backside for you.
Thanks, though I'll hardly ever get around to replacing the Sigma - I'm too fond of it even though I'm only using it sporadically.

Quote:Thanks, though I'll hardly ever get around to replacing the Sigma - I'm too fond of it even though I'm only using it sporadically.
Just to get an idea:

the lens at 12mm (f8), cropped to 1.3x crop format (CA corrected in PS, standard DPP conversion):

[Image: gallery_10230_63_773376.jpg]

Sorry, photozone seems to downsize the file to 1600 pixels wide max.

Later I will post a 13mm and 14mm 1.3x crop example.
Pages: 1 2 3