Opticallimits

Full Version: Also something to get used to with the A7r ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
RAW file size: 36MB

soLong

....and at least one of us is looking forward to closely examining every last one of those amazing pixels right here in this zone as photographed via the one ff e-mount lens (available for under $1000 :-) here in this, ahem, interesting country) only one so far?, and no adapter please....

....and have a good one tomorrow k and all too...best....

antony

Quote:RAW file size: 36MB
Looks like an SD Card Thunderbolt reader is needed.
The A7r is "sharper" than Fuji X. However, this probably just relates to Moiree effects.

Aliasing effects?

Just wait for the A7rR to fix the issue with an electronic 1st curtain shutter like the A7 has?

Sylvain

Quote:RAW file size: 36MB
Certainly not something to overlook for anybody who is serious about backup policies.

For most of these "serious" people, this filesize bump should require  a storage & backup policy review... TCO... TCO... TCO...

About that : I just finished uploading my photos (500Go+, not so much) to Amazon Glacier. A raid 6 array (2 disks) on UPS + Amazon Glacier is starting to feel a little overkill but with Glacier in mind, I might free up some space and consider lowering the raid level. My experience with the FastGlacier client has been surprisingly good, effective & trouble free so far, not so hard to do.

There certainly are more "hasslefree" options that are competitive on price and that are probably powered by Amazon Web Services as well but I liked the fact that I didn't have any "man in the middle" here. Also, some are cheaper, which makes me think they probably rely on a less reliable or less responsive infrastructure?

Any experiences ?
Glacier should be good but slow.

The idea of Glacier is that you save a lot of money by accepting its slowness. Which is good - as I see it it's just another backup, the very emergency one, that you probably use once in a very long time, so it doesn't need to be fast; for the "normal" backup purposes you keep on with the usual stuff - for instance, I have a RAID 5 NAS and four copies on DVD  Rolleyes (even though not for all the past years), which make me feel pretty safe, unless my house burns. Glacier would help in such an extreme case.

For the record, I've not used it yet (but for some tests): I want to use a client which does serious encryption before sending the bits. Not that I have secrets or fear of having my stuff stolen (I don't make money out of it), it's just that all that eavesdropping stinks.

Maybe it is just me, but 36MB files are no bother. Allowing for the MP difference, it is roughly on par relative to my Canon output. Local storage is dirt cheap now. I recently built myself a dedicated 4x3TB storage box for under £500 (4 disks, PC, OS). So the same sort of ball park cost as a lower-mid range lens or body.
Pages: 1 2