Opticallimits

Full Version: Metabones Leica M to Sony Nex Adapter: Infinity where?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Dynszis

Hello all.

I have a question about the Metabones Leica M / Sony E adapter, and I hope someone around here knows the answer:

I'd like to know whether you can focus to infinity, or past infinity when using this adapter. If you use a good manual lens, and turn the focus ring all the way in the appropriate direction: Are faraway objects pixel-peeping sharp then, or do you have to turn back the focus ring a little bit?

Thanks for any insight Smile

Scythels

There's no such thing as infinity.  There are the stars, millions of lightyears away, or distant mountains mere miles away.  At no iris size (=fl/f-no.) are they both in critical focus. 

If the adapter is micrometers too close to the sensor, the lens will be "backfocused" at "infinity," ie: focused further than you wish.  If the adapter is micrometers too far from the sensor, the lens will be "frontfocused" at "infinity," ie: focusing at a closer 'infinity' than you may desire. 

If the lens contains low dispersion glasses, the focal plane is temperature dependent as well.