Opticallimits

Full Version: New lens: Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
That one came out of nowhere, didn't it?

Interesting specs. And silly name, if you ask me. Maybe Leica marketing is now run by interns? That would explain the recent Mini M and Nano M stuff, too...

-- Markus
It was on the roadmap.

That Mini M and Nano M did not actually happen, did it?

About the Nocticron... The name, oh well... There was a time when all manufacturers were making up such silly names for their lenses (I have a Helioplan, a Solinar, a Delfinor, a Lattar, a Maginon, a Projar and a Talon :wacko:  ). Just silly that Leica (and Zeiss) can't seem to stop that silliness. 

A nice short portrait lens, a 85mm f2.4 FF equivalent. But probably at a much higher price than a 85mm f1.8 from Canon or Nikon (for FF). 

It does give an advantage over APS-C. But I am more of a 135mm (FF) fan for portraits.

Quote:It was an the roadmap.
And as prototype/mock up it was shown at Photokina last year.
Quote:And as prototype/mock up it was shown at Photokina last year.
Ups, sorry. Should have probably spent more time at the Panasonic booth Wink

-- Markus
Quote:That Mini M and Nano M did not actually happen, did it?
No. But my gut feeling is that they were actually serious about this naming scheme and stopped it because of the strong reaction to those silly names.

-- Markus
Quote:No. But my gut feeling is that they were actually serious about this naming scheme and stopped it because of the strong reaction to those silly names.

-- Markus
You may be right... But I was skeptical about that rumor because the M stands for Messsucher (Kamera), and really Leica must have realized that digital compacts without Messsucher... are no M?
Quote:That Mini M and Nano M did not actually happen, did it?

About the Nocticron... The name, oh well... There was a time when all manufacturers were making up such silly names for their lenses (I have a Helioplan, a Solinar, a Delfinor, a Lattar, a Maginon, a Projar and a Talon :wacko:  ). Just silly that Leica (and Zeiss) can't seem to stop that silliness. 

A nice short portrait lens, a 85mm f2.4 FF equivalent. But probably at a much higher price than a 85mm f1.8 from Canon or Nikon (for FF). 

It does give an advantage over APS-C. But I am more of a 135mm (FF) fan for portraits.
Given its niche, it's probably enough for all except the most diehard shallow DOF seekers (and those wouldn't be on µ4/3 anyways). Even "2.4" at that size seems like a deal (price-wise probably not really, though). But for those already invested in µ4/3 gear, probably a good idea.

Agreed re: the name though, seems pretty goofy. Looks like they desperately needed to distinguish it from the Summilux (1.4) lenses, and its' not quite Noctilux fast yet.

Interestingly ... this thing will have an OIS. That's quite unique at that speed. I'm slightly wondering about the centering problems here.

It will have to be very good at f/1.2 otherwise such a speed doesn't make much sense, especially given MFT users can already get the excellent Oly 45 f/1.8 which is very good wide-open and extremely cheap (at least here in Switzerland: 216 euros new!).

I concede this new Leica targets a different category of customers though.

I wonder if Panasonic will keep designing lenses with OIS (in-body stabilization) given their latest body features in-body stabilization.

I hope they will stop as I've never been a fan of OIS in-lens because of the adding complexity, larger size, heavier weight and decreased reliability (at least in theory).

Pages: 1 2