Opticallimits

Full Version: Tamron SP 24-70 mm f/2,8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

markusboeffel

I bought according to test in photozone TAMRON SP 24-70mm F/2.8. surprisingly, results with that lens, at any focal length and aperture are disappointing; lot of noise and weak image quality. who has experienced the lens and can confirm or not. perhaps it is a manufacture failure and I sould revert the lens to Tamron ? attached you can see the result. thank you for comments.[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

That sample looks to me like you could improve your technique before we even start to look at the lens itself. I can only guess at the settings used, but presumably high ISO and/or significant underexposure will give you that noise pattern. The image doesn't look clear, could it be motion blur? From the degree of diffraction spikes a smaller aperture was used?

For that type of shot, ideally you would manually force a lower ISO setting which can result in longer shutter speeds. A tripod may be required. Especially if you reduced the aperture that can contribute to needing even longer exposures.

markusboeffel

Hi Popo, sorry, I understand what you mean, but the picture was done on a tripod, no wind, no rain, iso 100 and f 22. what else could I have done do get a better result. I send as comparison same picture with the canon lens.

Your shot is definitely blurry.

Can you submit another shot taken during the day, preferably at ISO 100 with a high shutter speed?

It will be much easier to assess the quality of the lens which should normally be excellent.

Also, at f/22 you're definitely into diffraction territory regardless of the body you're using.

What body are you using?

If it's a D800, you will already be hit by diffraction as early as f/8. On a D700 it might be around f/14 or  so.

markusboeffel

I could send same picture, taken with a Canon lens, iso 100, f22. My camera is Canon 5D Mark II. focal length: 70mm; time 24 seconds with Tamron; 21 seconds with Canon. Thanks for your reply.
Quote:I could send same picture, taken with a Canon lens, iso 100, f22. My camera is Canon 5D Mark II. focal length: 70mm; time 24 seconds with Tamron; 21 seconds with Canon. Thanks for your reply.
Why on earth would you want to shoot with f22??? F5.6 to f8 will give you enough depth of focus to get the whole scene more or less sharp, and you do not take a crazy diffraction softening hit that you are getting now.

Anyway, it is clear that the Tamron shot shows both horizontal and vertical movement. Let me take a guess, you did not turn off IS(VC) on the tripod? 

markusboeffel

you are right ! I didn´t turn VC off ! should I have done so ?

markusboeffel

I didn´t turn IS on the canon less either !?
Quote:you are right ! I didn´t turn VC off ! should I have done so ?
You probably should have, the movement suggests it. Try it out and report back?

markusboeffel

Yes, I will try and come back ! thanks.
Pages: 1 2