Opticallimits

Full Version: New expensive toys coming from Canon (lenses)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
TS-E 50mm f2.8 L Macro. 1:2 max. magnification. 12 elements in 9 groups, 945 grams.

TS-E 90mm f2.8 L Macro. 1:2 max. magnification. 9 elements in 9 groups, 915 grams.

TS-E 135mm f4 L Macro. 1:2 max. magnification. 11 elements in 7 groups, 1110 grams.

EF 85mm f1.4 L IS USM. 0.12x max. magnification. 14 elements in 10 groups, 1 aspherical element, 950 grams.

Always thought, "macro" means 1:1?

The 85/1.4 will make Canon shooters very happy, I guess. Compact, stablized, not too heavy (300 grams lighter than Sigma). A lens for a long time of fun with it, apparently?
Quote:Always thought, "macro" means 1:1?

The 85/1.4 will make Canon shooters very happy, I guess. Compact, stablized, not too heavy (300 grams lighter than Sigma). A lens for a long time of fun with it, apparently?
I guess then that is the reason Nikon named its 55mm f3.5 and f2.8 and 105mm f4 lenses micro, as they went to 1:2?  Tongue

Macro lenses almost all used to be 1:2, needing extension tubing to reach 1:1.
Well if price wasn't an issue and I can't justify such an investment, the 85f1.4 IS and TSE90mm would have been sweet acquisitions

Luckily the old TS-E 90mm f2.8 already is a pretty nice lens, with this new one the older ones may start to show up 2nd hand, for affordable prices?

Those TS-E lenses are from a product photographer's wet dream...

Quote:Those TS-E lenses are from a product photographer's wet dream...

Not only a product photographer.

Incredible control over the focus plane, and incredible bokeh come to mind, both behind and in front of the focus plane come to mind. I for one will start budgeting for these lenses, the TSEs that is Smile. I assume the new TS-Es will be the same as the existing ones in this regard Smile. These lenses, plus the MP-E, are, from a lens POV, why I went for Canon when moving to digital with my slrs Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
None of those are of any interest for me, but it's nice to see the lineup being expanded. Besides, an f/1.4 IS lens is probably a first (at least as far as sensor sizes larger than 4/3 go).

New images indicate that the 50mm offers upto 8 degrees tilt (like the 24mm) and the 135mm upto 10 degrees tilt.

davidmanze

I ask myself why they only go to 1:2 magnification?
Pages: 1 2 3