Opticallimits

Full Version: Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8 D IF-ED (FX)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of the lenses I regret selling.

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/80...fs287028fx

-- Markus

Markus, thank you for this review. I was just surfing the net for credible review of this lens and I was nicely surprised at PZ. I was also looking at Tami 24-70. Between the two which one would you prefer? I am currently using primes (20, 35, 50, 85), while they are fun to use, they are not fun to change especially in wind/dust condition.

Thanks for the review again.
Looks like the biggest gain from the 24-70mm f2.8 over the 28-70mm f2.8 is the nice bokeh of the new one?

Quote:Looks like the biggest gain from the 24-70mm f2.8 over the 28-70mm f2.8 is the nice bokeh of the new one?

Yes. And the wider angle of course. Plus: the 28-70 is a rather massive lens. The 24-70 isn't really small neither, but it's a bit narrower. Subjectively, quite a bit.

-- Markus
Quote:Between the two which one would you prefer?

I can't really answer that, I'm afraid. I liked the 28-70 a lot, but on the other hand I also learned to appreciate having VR/VC available when I need it.

On the other hand: I hardly ever need a standard zoom. If I do, I usually switch over to DX and the 16-85 VR.

-- Markus

I know what you mean, it is easy to get used to more convinient options. I was considering it as option, because the prices are reasonable (used) and everyone is happy with this lens.      

medicus

I am very grateful and happy, that you have tested the lens. Have bougth it up during my Nikon F5 time, and was very satisfied with the performance. On the D200 it served well as portrait lens, but wideangel was missing, So I wanted to sell it, but did not get the demanded sum. So now I am very happy not to have sold it, it is on the D600 a marvelous lens. But my salesman wanted me to change to a 24-120mm, because he is the opinion, that the 28-70mm does not bring the performance for the digital sensor. He told me, that the 24-70mm has a too little range and the 2.8 aperture is pointless. I think that is bullshit. Your test confrimed me, that I do well to use this lens as standardlens.

thank you!