Opticallimits

Full Version: Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.4 G (DX)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Very nice on DX, too. Biggest competition nowadays comes from its little sister lens, the AF-S 85/1.8 G.

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikk...rafs8514dx

-- Markus

Bare

The biggest competition comes form Sigma 85mm lens. It's little strange to me that you don't measure sharpness at some point between center and border(I don't think that border is important to 85mm lens) and why you sharpen files because final results is pretty much dependent to type of sharpening you apply. 

Quote:The biggest competition comes form Sigma 85mm lens.

That one, too, yes.

Quote:It's little strange to me that you don't measure sharpness at some point between center and border(I don't think that border is important to 85mm lens) and why you sharpen files because final results is pretty much dependent to type of sharpening you apply.

There are lots of things in a digital workflow that have an impression on the final results. One is right in front of the sensor: the camera's AA filter. The sharpening we apply is minimal and only works against the blur introduced by the camera's filter.

There is no right or wrong way of using sharpening (or not). At least until you don't exaggerate the amount of sharpening applied. For the above mentioned reason we do apply some sharpening. In addition, this gives results closer to what you see with your own camera or workflow (you do sharpen, don't you?).

The most important thing to remember is: whatever you do, do it consistently. Only then you can get results that are comparable within one test system. That's all we aim for.

As already mentioned, there are many things that influence the results when using digital cameras for testing. And many of those we can't influence, because they are within the test camera (like the mentioned AA filter). That's why test results are not comparable across different test systems (and also different test sites).

-- Markus