Opticallimits

Full Version: Next PZ lens test report: Sigma AF 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM (Nikon DX)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The lens faces the end of its product life cycle... and the border results clearly show why Wink

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikk...ma3014dcdx

-- Markus

And why are you testing a lens at the end of it's lc, especially when the new replacement is already announced? It's just a question, not a complaint. Since the new one comes as part of the Art-Series, the same one the new 35/1.4 belongs to, I'd be much more curious to test that one instead of that old glass. Huh

Oops, I just realized, I need to be careful not to become a Sigma fanboy just because one real good piece of glass and also, because I had 4 Sigmas before with Pentax mount and never a problem with them. Okay, never such pictures with as with the 35/1.4 either, but that's a different story.  :wub:
Quote:And why are you testing a lens at the end of it's lc, especially when the new replacement is already announced? It's just a question, not a complaint. Since the new one comes as part of the Art-Series, the same one the new 35/1.4 belongs to, I'd be much more curious to test that one instead of that old glass. Huh

Oops, I just realized, I need to be careful not to become a Sigma fanboy just because one real good piece of glass and also, because I had 4 Sigmas before with Pentax mount and never a problem with them. Okay, never such pictures with as with the 35/1.4 either, but that's a different story.  :wub:
This is done probably to have a reference point for those who might think "Is the new one worth buying over the old one?" I wish this had been done for all the lenses that went through refreshes lately: say, it's very handy to have the test results for both Canon 24-70L and 24-70L II on hand, and decide for yourself.

By the way, I almost got this lens (the 30/1.4) once for my 1D Mark II N... it works well up until about f/5, and only then the vignetting becomes objectionable. YMMV.
Quote:This is done probably to have a reference point for those who might think "Is the new one worth buying over the old one?"
That's one reason, yes. And: even if the lens will soon be discontinued, it's still sitting on many shelves in stores and of course will be available used for many years to come.

-- Markus
Quote:And why are you testing a lens at the end of it's lc, especially when the new replacement is already announced? It's just a question, not a complaint. Since the new one comes as part of the Art-Series, the same one the new 35/1.4 belongs to, I'd be much more curious to test that one instead of that old glass. Huh

Well, sometimes the testing overlaps with the announcements. We'll not throw away the results.

The same happened to me with the Sigma 19mm & 30mm for NEX - albeit in this case there's at least no change in optical design.