Opticallimits

Full Version: Pentax announces FF intentions!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

davidmanze

Hi,

After a recent announcement that Pentax are in talks with Tokina with a view to their making lenses suitable for full frame sensors,Pentax, at last announces (on Pentax forums of an intervue at CP+) their intention for a full frame production camera,admitting,that it's taken some time for their staff to take the idea on board.

So it's officially official,as opposed to unofficially unofficial! They also stated that, "this camera will have something special" No real talk of time scales, speculations are that it's for summer/autumn next year.

We now have a year to guess what will be this "something special"

Dave's clichés
[quote name='dave's clichés' timestamp='1359934214' post='21741']

Hi,

After a recent announcement that Pentax are in talks with Tokina with a view to their making lenses suitable for full frame sensors,Pentax, at last announces (on Pentax forums of an intervue at CP+) their intention for a full frame production camera,admitting,that it's taken some time for their staff to take the idea on board.

So it's officially official,as opposed to unofficially unofficial! They also stated that, "this camera will have something special" No real talk of time scales, speculations are that it's for summer/autumn next year.

We now have a year to guess what will be this "something special"

Dave's clichés

[/quote]

Well, I reckon they have to go full frame because the APS-C DSLR market will collapse on the mid term due to the rise of mirrorless systems. However, I can't see how they can compete with a FF DSLR price-wise based on low production volume. Honestly I'm absolutely stunned that Pentax isn't going (APS-C or 43) mirrorless because small form factors have been their unique selling point.

[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1359973803' post='21749']

Honestly I'm absolutely stunned that Pentax isn't going (APS-C or 43) mirrorless because small form factors have been their unique selling point.

[/quote]

Well, they sort of did that already with the K-01.

Regarding FF: they seem to do fairly well in the medium format segment, so they should be used to make money with rather low volume cameras.

-- Markus

arvydas

There are so many things to do for Pentax on APS-C (improve AF speed, tracking, more points, flash system, DA* primes, update FA primes, improve SDM, etc., etc, ...), and I personally wish them to do the homework first.

A.

davidmanze

[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1359973803' post='21749']

Well, I reckon they have to go full frame because the APS-C DSLR market will collapse on the mid term due to the rise of mirrorless systems. However, I can't see how they can compete with a FF DSLR price-wise based on low production volume. Honestly I'm absolutely stunned that Pentax isn't going (APS-C or 43) mirrorless because small form factors have been their unique selling point.

[/quote]

Hi,

I think Pentax are blocked a bit by their K mount in mirrorless,a change in registration distance means another round of lenses, unless they make thinner bodies with an adapter. They're fighting on an awful lot of fronts now with full frame announced as well!

Dave's cliches!

netrex

I'm guessing everyone is going mirrless. It's inevitable. Had Pentax gone 4/3 I would be out. Don't know where I would go though.

netrex

The AF speed of the K-01 improved a lot recently with a firmware update, not a bad camera IMO.

I wouldn't mind if the FF turns out to be mirrorless.

netrex

How small is it necessary to make it?

arvydas

[quote name='AlexanderE' timestamp='1360029850' post='21768']

[/quote]

I personally do not want neither small, nor with EVF. I have bought K-30 instead of K-5 just because of more comfortable (deeper) grip (at that time their both were at the same price).

A.
[quote name='AlexanderE' timestamp='1360029850' post='21768']

[/quote]

Depends. However, 90% of the newcomers that I know go mirrorless and no one migrates from mirrorless to DSLRs. DSLRs are IMHO a replacement or upgrade business based on the (gigantic) existing DSLR users. That's good enough, of course.But it shows that small is beautiful.