Opticallimits

Full Version: Third party battery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Reinier

Hello All,

My batteries for my Canon EOS 5D are getting old and hence the capacity decreases. Now with the winter approaching I want to buy some new ones. But original Canon is very expensive, but on Ebay and other websites you can buy third party batteries for as little as 7 euro.

My question should I avoid these cheap ones or can't these batteries do no harm to my camera?

Hope to hear from you.

Best wishes,

Reinier

miro

I have mixed experience with those cheap batteries.

1. i bought from dutch webshop two batteries for my 50d and 400d. the accus ware rated with higher capacity than OEM but actually they ware worse than OEMs. After 1 resp. 2 yaer usage on 50d /400d they both died/ I opened them and i sow that tha problem is not in batteries, but in protection electronics. To safe money they use only one mosfet and combined R network to control the overvoltage protection. after modification i use this battery up until now in RC cars of my son and they are still ok

2. I bought second one from well known http://www.dx.com The batteries are OK they serve me until now and i don't see any difference from oems.
I have some for my cheaper cameras... and they seem to be ok in general. I haven't had any problems yet, but of course being mostly unbranded it is hard to say if any other one will behave the same. The only mid way point I can suggest is that one of the ones I got was Energizer branded. So not a "no name", still priced far less than Canon but more than the unbranded ones.

Wouldn't risk with the unbranded ones - had some bad experience, some of them even made camera freeze (voltage fluctuation I guess). However "branded" third party manufacturers, like Energizer or Uniross seem to be high quality, at least I couldn't tell any difference between them and genuine Nikons.