Opticallimits

Full Version: Next PZ lens test report: Nikon AF-D 180mm f/2.8 ED
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

is there any reason to choose it over sigma 150/2.8? (without taking in account possible bargain price for used one)
[quote name='Doroga' timestamp='1341398162' post='19310']

is there any reason to choose it over sigma 150/2.8? (without taking in account possible bargain price for used one)

[/quote]

Hardly. Even the bargain price is not an argument, since you can get used non-OS Sigmas for roughly the same price. Unless you really want 180mm vs. 150mm, the Sigma looks a little more attractive, at least to me, simply because it's an APO lens.

-- Markus
Then again, Sigma has a 180mm lens as well (actually, two). Is one of them in the pipeline for testing?
Yes, the old 180 EX is in the pipeline already, the 180 OS will follow when it's available.

--Markus

Studor13

There is some debate about the 70-200 II outperforming this lens but on the small amount of testing that I have done on the D800 I can say that the 180mm is better. Well, certainly not in terms of AF speed but you know what I mean.

As for the price I managed to find the second version which had a dent on the filter thread and got it for 250 euros, so you can get it at a good price if you are not too fussy about the cosmetics.

And as far as I'm aware the optical formula has never changed so this lens has really stood the test of time.
[quote name='mst' timestamp='1341422125' post='19315']

Yes, the old 180 EX is in the pipeline already, the 180 OS will follow when it's available.

--Markus

[/quote]

Well Markus, it looks like you're on a roll again. Great job with all these new reviews! Even though I'm a Canon user they're very enjoyable to read (and the Sigmas are relevant to us Canonites anyway).
oops
[quote name='mst' timestamp='1341401937' post='19311']

Hardly. Even the bargain price is not an argument, since you can get used non-OS Sigmas for roughly the same price. Unless you really want 180mm vs. 150mm, the Sigma looks a little more attractive, at least to me, simply because it's an APO lens.

-- Markus

[/quote]

Markus,

"it's an APO lens": What is the tangible advantage of being an APO lens vis a vis Nikkor?

Also, one more question to you: Today, if you were to chose between 180 2.8 or one of 70-300s (Tamron/Nikon)...which one will you go with? Considering the zooms have IS also. Is 70-300 at 200mm comparable in sharpness?

I want to put one of these on my D7000 and difficult to decide. Sigma is recommended by many but the OS version is heavy at 1150 grams, and non OS is not available here. Above zooms and this 180 are same size and same weight.

You have not tested it on 16mp APS-C sensor so i wonder how its likely to fare there...

regards,