Opticallimits

Full Version: Colour Space for Saving B/W Images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

frank

I understand that when I make B/W images from color images I need to use a color space of aRGB or ProPhoto RGB just like processing any color images. But when I save a B/W iamage into a jpeg file, does it matter to save it in aRGB or sRGB? In other words, would an aRGB B/W image look different from a sRGB version on web browsers?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1341378643' post='19306']

I understand that when I make B/W images from color images I need to use a color space of aRGB or ProPhoto RGB just like processing any color images. But when I save a B/W iamage into a jpeg file, does it matter to save it in aRGB or sRGB? In other words, would an aRGB B/W image look different from a sRGB version on web browsers?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

[/quote]

Any color space with gamma 2.2 or sRGB variant of it should be fine for B/W.

I suggest using only sRGB for color, as color managed browsers are still not so common.
Hi Frank,

Yes, it makes a difference, because the different colour spaces also interpret luminosity differently,basically because greys, whites and blacks are essentially specific mixes of all colours. Furthermore, the moment you start using a tint, like sepia, etc., you will also make use of the colour rendition of a colour space, and even more so when using B&W to e.g. emphasise a specific object with a single colour (red strawberry in otherwise B&W surroundings, etc.).

IOW, use the colour space you'd normally use, and you should be fine.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

frank

[quote name='wim' timestamp='1341429342' post='19320']

Hi Frank,

Yes, it makes a difference, because the different colour spaces also interpret luminosity differently,basically because greys, whites and blacks are essentially specific mixes of all colours. Furthermore, the moment you start using a tint, like sepia, etc., you will also make use of the colour rendition of a colour space, and even more so when using B&W to e.g. emphasise a specific object with a single colour (red strawberry in otherwise B&W surroundings, etc.).

IOW, use the colour space you'd normally use, and you should be fine.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

[/quote]

Thank you, Wim. I understand it now.

Best regards,

Frank