Opticallimits

Full Version: Euro-ing a computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So it's final! I'm moving from Canada to the Netherlands. Starting a job assignment in the land of 220 Volts, 50 Hz. Closer to the Zone!

I'm going through the details of the move. One thing is my computer. I've built a high-end PC. Is it possible to switch out a powersupply with a Euro one? Or are there going to be other issues.

I'm aware my screen won't work, of course. Too bad because it's a nice one. My other option would be to buy a laptop and use it for the 2-3 years I'll be in Nederland.

Most computer's power supplies are compatible with voltages from 110 to 240. Check yur manual or with the manufacturer. Laptops can be different and over the last 15 years, I only bought those with a universal power supply. It usually involves buying a power cable or plug adapter.
You probably are mistaken. Just about all power supplies automatically switch to the correct voltage and Hz. Your screen most surely will, your computer most probably too. It will state in on the adapters/power supplies too (110-230 V, 50-60 Hz).

The only thing you will need is then to change the mains plugs. Since again probably both will have a separate power lead to the power supply, you do not have to get travel adapters for the plugs as you simply buy two new mains leads. Any computer or appliance store will have them here.

One or more travel adapters will still come in handy though, for your other electrical devices (for instance electrical shaver, toothbrush, hair drier, camera's battery charger. mp3 player and so on).

miro

[quote name='backcountryskier' timestamp='1341018828' post='19253']

So it's final! I'm moving from Canada to the Netherlands. Starting a job assignment in the land of 220 Volts, 50 Hz. Closer to the Zone!

I'm going through the details of the move. One thing is my computer. I've built a high-end PC. Is it possible to switch out a powersupply with a Euro one? Or are there going to be other issues.

I'm aware my screen won't work, of course. Too bad because it's a nice one. My other option would be to buy a laptop and use it for the 2-3 years I'll be in Nederland.

[/quote]

Welcome back Arie,

most computer and monitor are scpecified from 100...240V

Iǘe just checked Canon batery charger is also 100...240V

Technicaly it is done with simple switch between half and full bridge AC/DC convertor.This is one of the input stage of any switching power supply.

Actually to be more precise - equpipment works from lets say 100...120V / 200....240V. Not in between.

Saying that I know there is alwis an exceptions.

I sugest you to check power supply lables and manuls of correcponding equipment. I re,ebered that on time when I was in US I had notebook adaptor only for 115 vols but it was in 90s.

bryan conner

Great advice here. Just don't make the mistake that I made. I researched everything, looked at every power supply, bought adaptors etc. When my computer arrived here in Germany 3 weeks after I did, I was so excited knowing that I was minutes away from using it, I completely forgot to switch the voltage switch on the back of the power supply from 110 to 230 before plugging it in. I thought I could do it after plugging it in to the juice but before pushing the power button. Wrong!!!! After the fireworks show and the smoke, I had to wait until the next day to buy a new power supply.
Thanks for the advice! This is good news!

I checked my computer's power supply and the screen, and both are good to go. I'll now be checking other electronics items, like my flat-screen tv set.

I did find a place on Amazon where you can buy plug adapters by the half-dozen.

bigdog

[quote name='backcountryskier' timestamp='1343231412' post='19589']

Thanks for the advice! This is good news!

I checked my computer's power supply and the screen, and both are good to go. I'll now be checking other electronics items, like my flat-screen tv set.

I did find a place on Amazon where you can buy plug adapters by the half-dozen.

[/quote]

If you do need a high amperage Converter. You might do a search in some of the US military base papers. There are always folks coming to or leaving Europe. And the converters sell for a reasonable price. My flat screen plasma works on 110v 600w. It works fine with a converter. It needs to work on a pal signal also. There is a place in Chicago that sells all kinds of 220 bits and pieces.

http://www.220depot.com/

http://www.ramsteinyardsales.com/index.jsp

http://classifieds.stripes.com/europe/
I just checked my TV set and it is also dual voltage. So no issues there.

HOWEVER it only takes NTSC, ATSC, 64QAM and 256QAM signals. No PAL or DVB-T. So I may need to get a converter. I suppose it depends on the cable box or PVR I'll end up with from my cable provider. If anyone has any thoughts or experiences with this, please let me know! I realize this is a photography forum, but maybe one of you has some words of wisdom.

Thanks!

Edit to add: it looks like QAM64 has support in Nederland

http://www.digitalekabeltelevisie.nl/tec...abel.shtml

So I may be OK! I think I'll bring the TV set and buy any converters, if needed.
I don't know how good the coverage of DVB-T is in the Netherlands ...

Germany is covered quite well.

Anyhow ... there are external DVB-T receivers available that are able

to produce different (configurable) outputs to the TV-Set. So, eventually

such a receiver might be a way to go for you. (Of course, that limits you to

those channals that are distributed by dvb-t).

Just a thought ... Rainer