Opticallimits

Full Version: Is FA 50/1.4 a Highly Commended lens?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

selar

Reading the review of the FA 50/1.4 the last line says it remains a highly recommended lens, but there is no green thumbs up for Highly Commended for it. Is it a Highly Commended lens or not?
I'd assume that the price hike makes this lens one that's not recommended at all. It used to be a steal (at half the price of other 50/1.4 lenses), but now it's just an overpriced and outdated lens. Check out Sigma's 50/1.4 as possible better alternative that doesn't cost that much more.

selar

I did check out the Sigma 50/1.4 but its kind of huge and ugly compared to the FA50/1.4.

So the "Highly Commended" rating also takes into account the price\value ratio? In that case why is the Voigtlander 125 still Highly recommended, its prices have soared to astronomical proportions?
As far as I understand the overall recommendation does also depend on value, but it's not normally updated once the review is out. This is typical for most review sites.
[quote name='selar' timestamp='1340079695' post='18966']

Reading the review of the FA 50/1.4 the last line says it remains a highly recommended lens, but there is no green thumbs up for Highly Commended for it. Is it a Highly Commended lens or not?

[/quote]

Ok, the wording is a bit unfortunate here.

We introduced the HR badges a few years ago - numerous reviews were already online back then.

So technically (by the meaning of the badge) it is not highly recommended but just recommended or so.

selar

Thanks.

You should sell green thumbs up badges stickers with photozone.de and name of lens written on it.