Opticallimits

Full Version: Batteries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hamburg_74

Hello

I have three Canon 580ex II speed lights and I find that my new NiMh 2500ah rechargeable AA batteries tends to last about three or four cycles of flash before they drain. Is there a particular Lithium rechargable battery that I should be using to prevent this problem? Keep in mind that my rechargeable batteries and charging unit are brand new.

Thanks

Is it possible for you to test your new batteries?

They may be just crap or your charger is. Or you have let them discharge themself for some weeks. Self-discharge is a serious problem for NiMh based on pre-LSD-technology.

Personally I stand away from all AA over 2400 mAh (degration too high over time) and only use those produced by a "respected" manufacturer. Most companies doesn't have a production line of their own. They just purchase them and put their label on.

I had quite a good time with "old-fashioned" NiMh by GP (2000-2400 mAh) but going to use LSD-type (Low-Self-Discharge -> "Eneloop") which I can recommend.

Your flash output number is much too low!

EDIT: Another point comes to mind. I never had an issue with that but it may be worth a try. Some batteries have to be charged und discharged several times to reach their nominal capacity. Not my opinion, that's what some sources say.

EDIT: Just tried to shot with 2100 mAh fresh from the charger. Used 21 shots and recharge time at manual full power dropped from about 9 during first shots to 10 seconds. Much energy left, I suppose.

Ciao, Walter

arvydas

[quote name='Hamburg_74' timestamp='1331333531' post='16513']

Keep in mind that my rechargeable batteries and charging unit are brand new.

Thanks

[/quote]

Hi,

It may depend on your charging unit - does it charge every channel separately or treat them all as one. In latter case it will stop charging when at least one battery is fully charged, however others may remain partially discharged, and flash's longevity will depend on "weakest link". I'd also recommend Sanyo Eneloop or Panasonic Infinium.

A.