Opticallimits

Full Version: cataloguing images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Reinier

Hello fellow Photozoners,

My image collection is somewhat getting out of hand. I wonder if anyone of you has a good way of cataloguing images om their computer.

I had a system for my slides, but I ít's not really working anymore. I catalogued the slides like:

So, I had numbers like 01a-0001. '01' means coast/beach 'a' means sunsets and 0001 is the number of the image. I have 12 different catagories for the coast ranging from storms, close-ups, recreation, rescue, vegetation(dunes), etc. For other subjects I had different numbers, for example Dutch towns and villages start with '04' and so on.

I don't need the date mentioned in the name of the images, like some people do.

Hope to hear how you catalgue your images.

Best wishes,

Reinier

[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1330346233' post='16228']Hope to hear how you catalgue your images.[/quote]

Lightroom. I use Keywords + collections to organise my pictures rather than file names and folders.

Ciao, Walter
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1330346233' post='16228']

... but I ít's not really working anymore ...

[/quote]

Can you explain a bit more, why the system you mentioned

worked in the past and now fails to work. This would make

it easier to understand your needs and eventually derive a

recommendation from that.

Rainer

I use Lightroom and its keyword system, but photos are stored in directorys which are resembled in the Lightroom libary structure. I think this approach benefits from the best of both worlds, even though it is naturally not as flexible as a structure thats purely virtual within Lightroom.

Christian

Reinier

Hi Rainer,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been sick for quite a while. So, hence I didn't spend time on PZ.

The problem with my 'old' archive is that lets say a sunset on the beach will be number as 01a-xxxx. But it can also be a sunset on the beach with a surfer in the picture. So, this picture can go in 1a-xxxx as sunset, but also in 01g-xxxx as 01 'beach' and 'g' for sport & recreation.

So, that's where the problem arises, when a photograph 'holds' more than one subjects.

I haven't numbered my digital photographs at all, I just made folders and use the number my camera 'gave'. But my first Dslr, EOS 40D, numbered differently than my EOS 5D. And I didn't pay attention, so everytime the EOS 5D started over again with numbering. So, these numbers aren't useful either.

Hope you understand my problem.

Enjoy your sunday!

Best wishes,

Reinier

As said above: I don't use a sophisticated naming convention for files and folders to achieve something a hierarchical file system is not designed for.

I use a Lightroom and keywords instead. A single image may be tagged with several keywords.

Ciao, Walter
[quote name='Walter Schulz' timestamp='1332094769' post='16859']

A single image may be tagged with several keywords.

[/quote]

Exactly, that's the value of tags that no folder structure can provide.

-- Markus

Reinier

Thanks for the replies. I do understand what you are writing. But still there is the problem I can't add keywords to the scans I made of my slides, which are already Tiff-files. So, I would have two different systems, which isn't going to work properly.

Hope someone has a solution.

Best wishes,

Reinier
You can also import TIFF-files in LR.

-- Markus

Sorry, I don't understand your problem. TIFF supports metadata: EXIF, IPTC. All there, no problem. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Other DAM solutions (DAM = Digital Asset Management; Aperture for example) support TIFF as well. TIFF was/is *the* file format for easy transfer between different systems: Unix/Linux, Mac OS, Windows ...

Not a good idea not to support TIFF if you want to sell your software.

Ciao, Walter