Opticallimits

Full Version: Samyang 24 mm f/1.4 reviewed at lenstip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

frank

Not very encouraging...

frank

[quote name='Rover' timestamp='1328949395' post='15795']

Not very encouraging...

[/quote]

Yes. I even think if the tested sample got damaged during transport...

Dick England

netrex

Not at all the quality I expected.
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1328950969' post='15798']

Yes. I even think if the tested sample got damaged during transport...

[/quote]

Very well might be, especially in the light of the odd behaviour of the aperture mechanism. I remember FredMiranda forum users reporting all sorts of mechanical malfunctions with other Samyang lenses, most notably 14/2.8 (like focusing scale being way off).

I'd retest the lens if I were Lenstip, maybe try a specimen in F mount.

Martin_MM

[quote name='Rover' timestamp='1328967043' post='15801']

Very well might be, especially in the light of the odd behaviour of the aperture mechanism. I remember FredMiranda forum users reporting all sorts of mechanical malfunctions with other Samyang lenses, most notably 14/2.8 (like focusing scale being way off).

I'd retest the lens if I were Lenstip, maybe try a specimen in F mount.

[/quote]

Well, it might be just this sample but I doubt it... Personally I hoped so much Samyang would get this particular lens right!

BTW, like you are saying: Concerning Samyang lenses, I have also read more user reports/complaints on inferior mechanical quality / mulfunctions... -> seems like the Samyang hype is over... at least for me.
Almost looks like a used 24L non-II is a better choice for the price, at least in the Canon scope. The Nikon users are, unfortunately, out of luck (I checked the price of the old 28/1.4 out of curiosity and it's insane, like 50% more at KEH than the new AF-S 24/1.4! Bonkers!)
Well, things have been even worse in the past, the price of the 28/1.4 has come down (!) to the actual level after the announcement of new f/1.4 lenses (24mm, 35mm). Not too long ago mint copies of the 28/1.4 sold for up to 4000 EUR.

-- Markus