Opticallimits

Full Version: Canon EOS 60D vs. 7D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

sleepless619

I know that the 7D has dual DIGIC 4 image processors with 14-bit processing, which allows it to shoot at 8 fps compared to th 60D with 5.3 fps (Does this also effect video?). Also, the 7D has the magnesium alloy body making it weather proof. Do these two differences really justify a $400 price difference. Are the photos and videos going to be noticeably different?

anyscreenamewilldo

i bought a 7d for the accuracy and speed of focus and for 19 cross points Vs 9 (i think) on the 60 - i think the 7 is recognised as a good sports cam, it's speed sure works for me - but i'm not familiar with the 60 and don't shoot vids, so others here more experienced and not so sleepless will no doubt have a better answer for you come daylight in euroland

[quote name='sleepless619' timestamp='1327885699' post='15292'](Does this also effect video?).[/quote]

No, video isn't affected at all.

There is a difference when it comes to "Magic Lantern" firmware extension. If you're really in video you want to take a look into this. For some reasons the Magic Lantern community was not able to make the extension work on 7D. It is in fact the only contemporary Canon APS-C camera not supported.

[quote name='sleepless619' timestamp='1327885699' post='15292']Are the photos and videos going to be noticeably different?[/quote]

Of course not! I know no such person able to tell a picture taken with 7D or 60D/600D/1100D.

Ciao, Walter
[quote name='sleepless619' timestamp='1327885699' post='15292']

I know that the 7D has dual DIGIC 4 image processors with 14-bit processing, which allows it to shoot at 8 fps compared to th 60D with 5.3 fps (Does this also effect video?). Also, the 7D has the magnesium alloy body making it weather proof. Do these two differences really justify a $400 price difference. Are the photos and videos going to be noticeably different?

[/quote]

The 60D focuses as fast as the 7D, but it has less AF points and that makes the 7D potentially better at tracking difficult to track subjects (read: smaller subjects) when you track something that moves across the scene.

Of course, a more expensive body to manufacture and two instead of one processor do make the 7D more expensive, and justify that price difference. Whether YOU want the metal in that body shell and 8 images per second, that is for you to determine.

Two other differences between the cameras:

The 7D micro focus adjustment, for when you have a lens which is not calibrated well and you want to try to get it to focus better. The 60D does not have that. However, almost no 60D user ever complains about that, the 60D is a very accurate focussing camera.

The 60D has an LCD that can swivel to just about any angle and direction. Handy when you are using live view because you can't get your head behind the camera... Odd angles, above your head and on the ground shots get easier this way.

anyscreenamewilldo

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1327913046' post='15301']

(#1) The 60D focuses as fast as the 7D, but it has less AF points and that makes the 7D potentially better at tracking difficult to track subjects (read: smaller subjects) when you track something that moves across the scene.

(#2) The 60D has an LCD that can swivel to just about any angle and direction. Handy when you are using live view because you can't get your head behind the camera... Odd angles, above your head and on the ground shots get easier this way.

[/quote]

...#1. indeed, and the 7 works very well

...#2. and so you can be sure your own head doesn't poke into your 8mm shot