Opticallimits

Full Version: Panasonic GX-1 arrived
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A couple of first impressions ...

1. the AF is FAST in low light. Without having performed a formal test I'd state that it is faster than on the Nikon V1 and it's a magnitude better than on the NEX 7 in this situation.

2. the build quality is very good. Mostly metal and a decent grip. That said the aperture control dial is clearly inferior to the Sony NEX 7 where it operates just as smooth as silk.

3. the screen is certainly very good but not superb.

4. the small 14-42 PZ is awesome - at least just by the looks and feel. Great BQ. It may be a retractable design but you just don't have to care like on the Oly 14-42 or Nikon 10-30 where you have to unlock the lens manually. Here it just moves out/back into working mode automatically. The zoom and focus control sliders may be unusual but I have no issues upon first contact. The GX-1 with 14-42 PZ is smaller than the Nikon V1 with 10-30. The NEX 7 is bigger than both.

so long ...

Did you try the EVF ? I if so how does it cmpare to the nex 7? (I've been told the image quality is slightly better than the gh2 but basically the same sensor; and focus while good is not quite as good as ep-3 - all of this second hand - so i don't vouch for accuracy of these comments).

soLong

[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1327002017' post='15035']

..... so long ...

[/quote]

... well so long as the evf doesn't flicker and flash at you whilst grabbing a sequence then ...

[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1327002017' post='15035']

1. the AF is FAST in low light. Without having performed a formal test I'd state that it is faster than on the Nikon V1 and it's a magnitude better than on the NEX 7 in this situation.

2. the build quality is very good. Mostly metal and a decent grip. That said the aperture control dial is clearly inferior to the Sony NEX 7 where it operates just as smooth as silk.

3. the screen is certainly very good but not superb.

4. the small 14-42 PZ is awesome - at least just by the looks and feel. Great BQ. It may be a retractable design but you just don't have to care like on the Oly 14-42 or Nikon 10-30 where you have to unlock the lens manually. Here it just moves out/back into working mode automatically. The zoom and focus control sliders may be unusual but I have no issues upon first contact. The GX-1 with 14-42 PZ is smaller than the Nikon V1 with 10-30. The NEX 7 is bigger than both.

[/quote]

Sounds good! My only misgiving is that the GX1 seems way overpriced in comparison to the G3. Btw while I´m still sceptical about the merits of the "powerzoom" the 14-42 PZ is optically pretty decent according to slrgear.
[quote name='Sammy' timestamp='1327063773' post='15053']

Sounds good! My only misgiving is that the GX1 seems way overpriced in comparison to the G3. Btw while I´m still sceptical about the merits of the "powerzoom" the 14-42 PZ is optically pretty decent according to slrgear.

[/quote]

Well, I paid 700EUR with the PZ lens. I think that's not too bad by local pricing standards. The naked lens sells for 400EUR so just 300EUR extra for the body then!

Almost forgot to ask - GX1 AF even faster than the GH2? Depends on the lens in use I suppose...
[quote name='Sammy' timestamp='1327073480' post='15055']

Almost forgot to ask - GX1 AF even faster than the GH2? Depends on the lens in use I suppose...

[/quote]

I don't have the GH-2 anymore so I can't compare.

I guess this means you do not have the evf; has anyone compared the gx1 or gh2 evf to the nex 7/5n ? If so any comments on how they differ in usage (low light; bright sunlight et all).
[quote name='you2' timestamp='1327080143' post='15062']

I guess this means you do not have the evf; has anyone compared the gx1 or gh2 evf to the nex 7/5n ? If so any comments on how they differ in usage (low light; bright sunlight et all).

[/quote]

No, I don't have the optional EVF for the GX-1.

The EVF from the GH-2 is inferior to the NEX 7 during daylight. The NEX 7 EVF delivers a more natural, less harsh image and, of course, a sharper one. In low light the results are closer.

Ok. Thanks very much. I talked to someone who had the gx1 with evf and he said the evf wsa simlar to the gh2 he had but he had never used the nex (he prefers 4/3 for the lenses). He wsa also the fellow who said the gx1 had slight improvement over the gh2 image quality (a little less noise and better shadows).