Opticallimits

Full Version: Sony NEX & Alpha info leaks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Image: 4htxzs.jpg]

by sonyalpharumors.com

What is your feeling comparing sony nex to micro 4/3 ? I have a few that I can offer but would be interesting in hearing your thoughts.
[quote name='you2' timestamp='1312288163' post='10343']

What is your feeling comparing sony nex to micro 4/3 ? I have a few that I can offer but would be interesting in hearing your thoughts.

[/quote]

Well, the NEX7 will beat all MFT bodies for sure but it has no lenses to boot at 24mp. Except maybe this new Zeiss 24/1.8. The only "hope" is this rumored SLT adapter which could take advantage of the 16-50 and the other Alpha G stuff.

rooster

[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1312288672' post='10344']

Well, the NEX7 will beat all MFT bodies for sure but it has no lenses to boot at 24mp. Except maybe this new Zeiss 24/1.8. The only "hope" is this rumored SLT adapter which could take advantage of the 16-50 and the other Alpha G stuff.

[/quote]

And what about the 35mm ZM lenses? I've read some critical comments by you about the f2.8, whereas the f2.0 achieved quite good results. But will it hold up those results at 24mp?

Nex7 + 24/1.8 + ZM 35/2.0 + 50/1.8 OSS sum up for a good setup in my opinion...
[quote name='rooster' timestamp='1312290374' post='10345']

And what about the 35mm ZM lenses? I've read some critical comments by you about the f2.8, whereas the f2.0 achieved quite good results. But will it hold up those results at 24mp?

Nex7 + 24/1.8 + ZM 35/2.0 + 50/1.8 OSS sum up for a good setup in my opinion...

[/quote]

The ZMs are still a workaround and there are no high performance zoom lenses. I guess the upcoming E 30/3.5 will outperform the ZMs. No sure what you're referring to as 50/1.8 OSS ? The 50/1.8 SAM has no usable AF and MF is rather crappy. The ZM 50/2 is probably a good compromise.

FWIW, I will publish the reviews for the 28/2.8 and 35/2.8 during the next 2 weeks or so.

rooster

[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1312291565' post='10346']

The ZMs are still a workaround and there are no high performance zoom lenses. I guess the upcoming E 30/3.5 will outperform the ZMs. No sure what you're referring to as 50/1.8 OSS ? The 50/1.8 SAM has no usable AF and MF is rather crappy. The ZM 50/2 is probably a good compromise.

FWIW, I will publish the reviews for the 28/2.8 and 35/2.8 during the next 2 weeks or so.

[/quote]

Along the picture above sonyalpharumors.com mentioned a native E-mount 50mm lense with image stabilizer. Let's see if that rumor turns out to be true...

I'm looking forward to the 35/2.8 review. You're doing a really good job here!

Well I have no doubt the nex 7 will have lots of pixel but do you think the body itself is convenient to use as the gh2 or ep3? This include things like out of camera jpeg; in body is; ability to manual focus; and such. I guess I'm thinking more about the system.

As you mentioned the lens option is slim. Also at 24mp i noise will be as bad as 4/3 ?

Sylvain

[quote name='you2' timestamp='1312302615' post='10349']

Well I have no doubt the nex 7 will have lots of pixel but do you think the body itself is convenient to use as the gh2 or ep3? This include things like out of camera jpeg; in body is; ability to manual focus; and such. I guess I'm thinking more about the system.

As you mentioned the lens option is slim. Also at 24mp i noise will be as bad as 4/3 ?

[/quote]

Wow...

I don't mind the NEX5N much but it seems to me the NEX 7 is ticking quite a few boxes right. Supposedly very high resolution EVF (imagine that coupled with their new focus assis zones), dual dials on top in a rather intriguing but interesting position. In previous Nexes, Sony also took note of user complaints and made most of their button user programmable if I'm not mistakenso let's hope for the best here. Here I see at least 3 buttons, a dial (with an extra central button) and possibly another button inside the power switch??? (not counting the image review & flash release. Looks plenty to me and with a three dial setup, an auto ISO in Manual mode with EV compensation becomes a breeze (and before you or somebody asks, there are use cases for that).

I don't fear so much about the 24mp sensor becoming too noisy as Sony looks like they have proudly taken the high performance sensor crown and I could see them trying to keep it for a while.That and the fact this sensor is equipping the A77, a rather advanced camera. Actually, I'd be quite happy to finally exit the 10-12mp territory in a mirrorless interchangeable package.

But the lenses aren't terribly reassuring... And that Zeiss surely looks like it needs a diet but I'm staying cautious as pictures always tend to magnify objects with me. Size size size...

Greetings,

S.
[quote name='you2' timestamp='1312302615' post='10349']

[/quote]

I've no handling issues on the NEX5 already and the NEX7 adds the EVF. I can't see why it shouldn't be able to match the GH-2 ... except on the lens side.
[quote name='Sylvain' timestamp='1312310773' post='10352']

But the lenses aren't terribly reassuring... And that Zeiss surely looks like it needs a diet but I'm staying cautious as pictures always tend to magnify objects with me. Size size size...

[/quote]

I think there's also a bit of a misconception here regarding the potential sizing.

MFT lenses are not really smaller than their FT counterparts. Just take the

Olympus 14-42mm (classic) vs Panasonic 14-42mm

Olympus 40-150mm (classic) vs Olympus 40-150mm

Even the Oly 70-300 (classic, a relabeled Sigma full format lens) is not any bigger than the Pana 100-300mm.

Those MFT lenses that are substantially smaller are either pancakes or smaller because they are underdesigned.

Consequently NEX lenses will barely be smaller that conventional Alpha DT lenses.

Or in other words - NEX lenses will always be bigger than MFT lenses anyway (exceptions apply, of course).

The latter isn't even 100% correct - assuming you got lenses with the same depth-of-field potential the size will be the same. Thus you'd think of the Zeiss 24/1.8 as a MFT 18mm f/1.2. Frankly I doubt that this one would be any smaller. Just think of the Voigtlander 25/0.95 (equiv. to a 33mm f/1.3 - take the Sigma 30/1.4 DC as a reference).
Pages: 1 2 3