Opticallimits

Full Version: Confused about Picture Profiles in the a6300 (movies)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got the a6300 two days ago. First days, no time for pleasure (business, business!), and today it's a dull day - I would like to test it with landscapes. So at the moment I just took care of reprogramming it with the most similar customisation of my a6000. Next week-end I could be in the countryside and - weather allowing - should be the right place to start.

A thing that I noticed is that colours rendered in the viewfinder were totally wrong. It turned out to be "Gamma display assist", that I had set to s log 3, because I thought it was the first setting to try with movie recording. I expected it only impacted movie recording, and not the viewfinder. Then I understood what the meaning of "Gamma display assist" is, so I set to "auto" and the problem disappeared.

But, now restricting the problem to movie recording, I'm confused by the plethora of options in display profile. Sure it's because I don't know anything about movie recording and processing - I didn't pay care so far, because movie quality of my previous sony cameras wasn't good enough for me.

So, summing up... what should be the first (in the meaning of: fit to a movie newbie) programming of Picture Profiles I should set if I want to start with movies? For my limited understanding it should be either s log 2 or s log 3, but I found different opinions in reviews. Second: what kind of application (Mac OS X) I need for post-processing it? I understand that with this treatment of colours it's probably not just iMovie... right?

Only log if you want to grade the output, not sure if you should start with that. 

For video editing, I do like Final Cut Pro X.  It is very powerful, and even with not thaaaat powerful computers it handles 1080p and even 4K well.