Opticallimits

Full Version: Nikon 70-200/2.8 limited magnification at close range affects DOF?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Martin_MM

Hi, I don´t have this lens (yet) but would like to ask the owners/experienced ones... Ok, there is a general consensus that the Nik.70-200/2.8 is actually something like 70-135/f2.8 when shooting at short distances. So naturally I also understand that the lens behaves like 135/2.8 in terms of depth of field under these conditions, am I right or not?

So when shooting at close range, not only I get the magnification like from the 135mm lens only but also the DOF like from the 135/2.8 (and not the shallower DOF like I would expect from the real 200/2.8). Is it correct?

Thank you for your replies (...theorists please keep off ;-).
Yes, that's correct. However, the lens is that wide at its closest focus setting only. If you really shoot that close with such a lens, it might be a real issue. For me, it hasn't been, though.

-- Markus

Martin_MM

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1310143551' post='9816']

Yes, that's correct. However, the lens is that wide at its closest focus setting only. If you really shoot that close with such a lens, it might be a real issue. For me, it hasn't been, though.

-- Markus

[/quote]

Thank you, Markus. Well, I don´t think this will be a real issue for me too but I wanted to know exactly how it behaves. All this breathing stuff is a bit annoying, anyway... Canon 70-200 IS II seems to have mastered that much better, for instance (so it is possible even with today´s designs)

Steinar1

Have a look at the Sigma that does better in that regard.
[quote name='Vieux loup' timestamp='1310157839' post='9824']

Have a look at the Sigma that does better in that regard.

[/quote]

Nope, at least not the 70-200 OS. The non-OS maybe ...

-- Markus

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1310143551' post='9816']

-- Markus

[/quote]

Also as a user, no issue. Had I not read about the 'breathing' I would have been in blissful ignorance of it.

What is an issue is the forward centre of gravity from those 4 big front elements which gives me instant backache.
[quote name='Martin_MM' timestamp='1310131369' post='9815']

Hi, I don´t have this lens (yet) but would like to ask the owners/experienced ones... Ok, there is a general consensus that the Nik.70-200/2.8 is actually something like 70-135/f2.8 when shooting at short distances. So naturally I also understand that the lens behaves like 135/2.8 in terms of depth of field under these conditions, am I right or not? [/quote]

Like has been confirmed, the lens does start to be have like a 130mm or so lens at MFD, so, field of view is wider, like a 130mm lens, and DOF is that of a 130mm lens also.

At 2 meters 147mm, at 3 meters 164mm, at 5 meters 176m, and 10mm 186mm.

186mm is not a stranger value for a 200mm lens anymore.

[quote name='Martin_MM' timestamp='1310131369' post='9815']

So when shooting at close range, not only I get the magnification like from the 135mm lens only but also the DOF like from the 135/2.8 (and not the shallower DOF like I would expect from the real 200/2.8). Is it correct?

[/quote]

Correct. You do not just get the magnification, but also the wider field of view of a 130mm lens, and with that comes the DOF of a 130mm lens.

For photographers like me, it would be a problem, I use my 70-200mm a lot at or close to MFD and specifically to get the narrow FOV. For other photographers, like Markus, it is not an issue as they use it as a tele at longer distances.

So, whether you should see it as an issue, or not, totally depends on your photography and your use of such a lens. And, as Markus pointed out, the Sigma OS version is not an alternative, as it also shows the same breathing as the Nikon VR II.

If you need the shallow DOF belonging to 200mm f2.8 at closer distances (or the narrow field of view at 200mm, like me), the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8, 70-200 VR, Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 are alternatives.

If not, the 70-200mm VR II is fine.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1310194014' post='9835']

For other photographers, like Markus, it is not an issue as they use it as a tele at longer distances.

[/quote]

I do work a lot at or close to MFD, but I hardly ever need such a narrow AOV or thin DOF there.

-- Markus

miro

Well without theory I see two options

1. Belief Marcus and ignore the rest. Since hi has own this lens.

2. Do you have rear focusing macro lens. E.g Nikkor 105 VR or Sigma 150macro? Try them @MFD and judge for yourself.

If you like theory - Ask yourself the same question as you described at the begin. How much is the dof of one 135mm lens at 1m and the same for 200mm?

----------

If you ask me for personal opinion.

I pretty much share experience of Marcus.
Which weirdo keeps rate whatever I post down? Look above, nothing I posted was weird, wrong, bad. Yet, again, a negative rating. Who is that?
Pages: 1 2