Opticallimits

Full Version: What is this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

frank

Recently I got some dust-like spots on my images when I shot sky. An example is shown in the image below. I switched lenses but they stay there. I thought they were caused by some dust on the image sensor so I cleaned the sensor by blowing it with air. I then checked the image sensor, it looks clean and had no dust on it. But I still get the dust-like spot. Can somebody tell me what it really is and how can I get it off?

Many thanks,

Frank

[Image: tst_194.jpg]

frank

The image is 100% cropped.
The image doesn't directly show for me, probably due to anti-hotlinking. But it appears when cut and paste the location to a new window.

Anyway, to me it does look like sensor dust. What aperture were you using? It is very possible for dust to not be removed by blowing alone. Some stickier types may need a wet clean to shift it. You can get the stuff yourself or pay someone to do it for you.
Dust for sure. Just clean your sensor, no biggie.

Imagine how small pixels are in your sensor... only in very good light you might be able to see the tiny dust specs, if you have very good eyes.

IanCD

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1307898462' post='9151']

Imagine how small pixels are in your sensor... only in very good light you might be able to see the tiny dust specs, if you have very good eyes.

[/quote]

Maybe spots of dust which have got damp from condensation... had same with my D7000, see [url="http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/topic/758-moisture-spots-on-d7000-sensor/page__p__6823__fromsearch__1#entry6823"]here[/url]

Sent it to Nikon as I wasn't confident cleaning the sensor myself. Sorted.

Ian

frank

Thank you all for kind replies. I blow the sensor with air but cannot remove it. So I guess I should send my camera to a Nikon dealer to clean the sensor. But I wonder if this is a serious problem. If it is not a serious problem, I will do it when I have my camera regullar yearly maintainance, which is about 6 months later.

Regarding the image, I tried to upload it to the album here. But I noticed that there are two steps: 1. upload; 2. review and publish. I don't quite understand the second step. It appears to me that the step 2 will publish the image somewhere on this site. But I am afraid that it does not make sense to pulish a "nonsense" image here. With just step 1 I could not finish the upload. So I uploaded the image to another site but it does not show up correctly here. Can anyone tell me how can I put the image here?

Thanks,

Frank

frank

I put the image to a different site and I hope this time it works.

Frank

frank

[quote name='popo' timestamp='1307897020' post='9150']

The image doesn't directly show for me, probably due to anti-hotlinking. But it appears when cut and paste the location to a new window.

Anyway, to me it does look like sensor dust. What aperture were you using? It is very possible for dust to not be removed by blowing alone. Some stickier types may need a wet clean to shift it. You can get the stuff yourself or pay someone to do it for you.

[/quote]

I checked the original image, the aperture is f/11.

Yesterday when I was cleaning the back LCD screen of my camera, it appeared that there is some dust on the inside side of the LCD! I don't understand how the dust got into the LCD.

frank

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1307898462' post='9151']

[/quote]

Yes, probably the dust is too small to be seen by my naked eyes.

frank

[quote name='IanCD' timestamp='1307901938' post='9153']

Maybe spots of dust which have got damp from condensation... had same with my D7000, see [url="http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/topic/758-moisture-spots-on-d7000-sensor/page__p__6823__fromsearch__1#entry6823"]here[/url]

Sent it to Nikon as I wasn't confident cleaning the sensor myself. Sorted.

Ian

[/quote]

Thanks, Ian. I know your post but I could not find it yesterday. Now I read it again. Yes, it shoudl be small dust.

I am also not confident in cleaning the sensor (except blowing) by myself, so I will have a professional to do it at some time.