Opticallimits

Full Version: BUYING ADVICE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BOBSTER1700

Recently my Nikon D300s was stolen. So, I need to replace it. I am considering buying another D300s, which I loved, or waiting for it replacement from Nikon. If I buy another D300S I could then afford to purchase a professional lever (2.8) lens, such as the 28-70. If I wait for the replacement it will likely cost substantially more and I will not also be able to aford the lens as well.

The question has to do with image quality. Will the better lens have a greater affect on image quality than a newer (more mps and possible better sensor) camera with my old lenses.

edge

Do you need the huge buffer and fps of the D300s?

If not, get the D7000. It has a more current image sensor.

Then with the money saved, pick up the 24-70 (rather than the 28-70, since 28 isn't that inspiring on an APS-C sensor).

Steinar1

[quote name='ROBOB' timestamp='1301440530' post='7213']

Recently my Nikon D300s was stolen. So, I need to replace it. I am considering buying another D300s, which I loved, or waiting for it replacement from Nikon. If I buy another D300S I could then afford to purchase a professional lever (2.8) lens, such as the 28-70. If I wait for the replacement it will likely cost substantially more and I will not also be able to aford the lens as well.

The question has to do with image quality. Will the better lens have a greater affect on image quality than a newer (more mps and possible better sensor) camera with my old lenses.

[/quote]

What lenses do you have now? In any case, I would recommend against buying the 24-70 for the D300s or an APC-s camera. Rather buy the 17-55 2.8? which is built for APC cameras. It is a more useful focal length and lighter to carry around.

Whether to buy abother D300S or not is a guessing game at the moment. On one hand, you can not go wrong buying an outstanding body, but on another hand, there may be a replacement in the works soon. If the D7000 fits your bill, then buy it. It is a great camera, but it does not replace a D300s in terms of build quality and some of the more advanced features.