Opticallimits

Full Version: Studio Strobe - What's Wrong?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Can anybody help, please?

Using a 250 Joule Elinchrom studio flash with N D200 all is well using a pc sync lead. Direct flash with reflector gives f/22 at ISO 100 at about a metre. ok.

When I try to use the Elinchrom inbuilt slave sensor, with nothing else changed,(no lead) the flash fires but the illumination reduces by 4 to 5 stops.

Synchronisation? Yes, the whole frame is evenly illuminated. Sync is 250th sec. I think Elinchrom duration is about 800th sec

I've been through the camera manual. The camera 'preflash' is turned off. The problem exists whether the camera's inbuilt flash is used to trigger the Elinchrom or a N SB600. I've tried with/without 'rear curtain' setting.

I'm doing something silly, aren't I? Same effect with 2 D200s, and D40 (D40 has no pc socket, so alave only)

The Elinchrom is 'dumb', ie no auto anything on flash output, fully manual. Output can be reduced 2 stops by a slider - manual. AC 230V powered, of course. I just have the one Elinchrom, can't try another.

Obviously I can work around this, but it's bugging me.

? ? ? ?

Thanks in anticipation!

Jim
Jim,

the camera's flash or the SB-600 need to be in manual mode, not TTL. Is this what you mean by "camera preflash turned off"?

-- Markus

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1299345560' post='6532']

Jim,

the camera's flash or the SB-600 need to be in manual mode, not TTL. Is this what you mean by "camera preflash turned off"?

-- Markus

[/quote]

Thanks..

Sorry, I should have said 'modelling illumination', not preflash - but I now realise that's irrelevent as it's fired manually by the DoF preview button (book says).

However, I have now changed to MANUAL (on-Camera) trigger flash, as you kindly suggest, at 1/128th power - big improvement!... But still 2 stops difference between PC and slave ????

Dratt. Well we're moving in the right direction

Thanks again
Maybe also use a little longer exposure. Like 1/160s.

-- Markus

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1299350534' post='6535']

Maybe also use a little longer exposure. Like 1/160s.

-- Markus

[/quote]

errrrrrr.. Nope. Neither 1/160th, or a low as 1/60th makes an improvement

I just mistakenly triggered using both slave (camera built-in flash) and PC cable together. It gives the LOWER output of the 2 levels. Again, then PC cable only and I get the expected, high output.

??? I guess a call to the Elinchrom distributor in London on Monday would do no harm.

It's only recently I've used the strobe with DSLR; I've had it for many years but used MF film SLR.

Thanks!