Opticallimits

Full Version: Quality Panel Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hi All,

I am in seach of a new display. Primary purpose photo editing (I consider myself a prosumer), will use Lightroom/ Photoshop, am working on a Mac (i.e. color managed environment w/ DisplayPort possibility), cannot calibrate yet but want to learn it. As for size, I think 24" is target, 22" is OK and 27" may be too big (will be sitting close to the display).

I do not print my own photos but rather send them to a professional printer.

Secondary use office work, i.e. need text to be well legible. No movie watching (i.e. 16:10 is likely my choice, panel speed is not relevant).

Want the diplay to keep me happy for the next 4-5 years, which is why I am willing to shell out something around EUR 1000 (will be buing in Europe).

Having done some research, I came up with the following choices and queries, with which I would appreciate your kind advice:

- Eizo CG223W and NEC MultiSync PA241W seem to correspond to what I am looking for

? do not know if this is not an overkill (it seems lot of prosumers are perfectly happy with less expensive choices such as Dell U2711)

? is there really a problem with font antialiasing in Mac OS X when using PVA panel

? is it a hype or truth that PVA panels cannot display dark gray gradients when viewed directly, is there a problem in that colors on the edge of the screen already fade when screen is viewed directly

? what about the violet-glare problem with IPS panel

? do I need colorimeter straight away to get the monitor colors right, how often do I need to calibrate

I know this may be a bit chaotic. I will appreciate if you tell me your personal experience/ point me in the right direction.

Thank you

Ed

Ed,

I can only reply/comment on part of your questions:

I have an Eizo S2031W. It is smaller (20") and from a "cheaper" series than the CG223W. I use it in a way similar to what you mention. It is perfectly adequate for me. The CG223W might be a bit more than you need. But if you can afford it...

My Eizo needs hardly any calibration, in the sense that I see very little difference when I calibrate it with my Spyder3. But mine isn't a "wide color gamut" model, and I have heard that those that are, _do_ require calibration for proper colors.

Thomas

Thomas,

Many thanks for your input.

Ed

[quote name='ThomasAM' timestamp='1299343112' post='6530']

Ed,

I can only reply/comment on part of your questions:

I have an Eizo S2031W. It is smaller (20") and from a "cheaper" series than the CG223W. I use it in a way similar to what you mention. It is perfectly adequate for me. The CG223W might be a bit more than you need. But if you can afford it...

My Eizo needs hardly any calibration, in the sense that I see very little difference when I calibrate it with my Spyder3. But mine isn't a "wide color gamut" model, and I have heard that those that are, _do_ require calibration for proper colors.

Thomas

[/quote]