Opticallimits

Full Version: Ultra-Wide for Canon 550D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

marius

Hi guys,

I would like to purchase an UW lens for my Canon 550D.

I was thinking about Sigma 8-16 but since it doesn't support filters I think I pass.

Could you please recommend something else? And I mean in the same price range, around 4-500Euros.

Thank you!

marius

[quote name='marius' timestamp='1296469908' post='5797']

Hi guys,

I was thinking about Sigma 8-16 but since it doesn't support filters I think I pass.

Could you please recommend something else? And I mean in the same price range, around 4-500Euros.

Thank you!

[/quote]

Or can Sigma 8-16 be used with Cokin filters?
I'm not sure any filter in front of that lens would work ok unless it was a stupidly large filter. There doesn't seem to be much to mount a filter onto either!

Depending on what kind of filter you want, is there a possibility you can mount it behind the lens - assuming the lens is EF mount not EF-S (note I'm talking about protrusion into mirror area here, not image circle) then I have seen some filters which fit in the body in front of the mirror.

Alternatively, you'll have to go less wide. I quite like the old Sigma 10-20 variable aperture version even though I didn't get the best sample they ever made.

PuxaVida

[quote name='marius' timestamp='1296469908' post='5797']

Hi guys,

Thank you!

[/quote]

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

Sharp on the edges, solid build, suffers from LaCAs (but who doesn't)...

Serkan
I too have been tempted by Sigma 8-16. It's smaller than my 10-20, it goes wider, and the resolution figures are impressive. But the filter thing is holding me back.

I'm not too worried about polarizers. The thing that would be nice to have is ND filters to cut light and ND grad. I googled to see if anyone has found a solution. Most stuff I came across is speculative ("you should be able do it"). The only thing I found that's concrete is this:

http://manessinger.com/tag/sigma-8-16mm-...-dc-review

quote:

I have Lee graduated ND filters, and when I hold them directly in front of the lens and if I am very careful, they just cover it fully in a vertical image. In a horizontal, I have no chance. Lee filters are equivalent to Cokin Z Pro, thus a Cokin X-Pro filter might be big enough. What you really want though, is one of these.

"One of these" refers to http://www.leefilters.com/camera/product...B2B8A73D1/

"they just cover it fully in a vertical image" means that the split is dead center and that you can't move it.

I looked up the lee SW150 filter holder on B&H and they want $375. For a simple piece of plastic! Ugh. I'm still thinking there must be a way to jury-rig a Cokin X-Pro holder.

PuxaVida

[quote name='backcountryskier' timestamp='1296577769' post='5816']

I looked up the lee SW150 filter holder on B&H and they want $375. For a simple piece of plastic! Ugh. I'm still thinking there must be a way to jury-rig a Cokin X-Pro holder.

[/quote]

I think the package includes a ND grad filter also (+ a "system adapter" for use with variety of lenses)... And it looks very practical for [url="http://wolfcoramore.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/lee-filters-for-nikon-14-24mm-f2-8-lens-lee-filters-website/"]use with the 14-24mm[/url]. Do you think Cokin X-Pro can do better than this? I'm asking because I'm looking for a decent filter adapter & holder, meeting the following requirements:

- ease of use (mount/unmount, rotating etc...) and adapter compatibility with various lenses

- no mechanical vignetting

- glass filter compatibility with various brands

Serkan

Yakim

Tokina 11-16 and Canon 10-22 are the best choices. I opted for the Canon long ago and was never disappointed. I particularly like it's flare resistance. It's a feature I value a lot in UWA lenses as to avoid the sun you need to significantly alter your composition. As a I live in a very sunny country this makes it my preferred UWA.

marius

Tokina's CAs scares me. Canon 10-22 is it wide enough for APC sensor?

Yakim

[quote name='marius' timestamp='1297320296' post='6017']

Tokina's CAs scares me. [/quote]

Why? CA can easily be removed in PP.

Canon 10-22 is it wide enough for APC sensor?[/quote]

This is a personal question only you can answer. AFAIAC the answer is: Absolutely.

BTW, it's APS (or APS-C) sensor, not APC.

Tokina's CAs scares me. Canon 10-22 is it wide enough for APC sensor?

[/quote]

Yup, most programs such as Lightroom and DXO remove CA automatically. CA should only be an argument against the lens, if you intend to print straight out of camera.

canon 10-22 is much, much wider than your 15- xx or 17-xx standard zoom lens (reads: an awful lot wider)

Still wider is the Sigma 8-16.

A little less wide is the Tokina 11-16-but it has f/2.8, if you need it (night shots, indoors).

If you shoot landscapes from dusk till dawn, go with the canon, its flare resistance far surpasses both the Tokina and the Sigma and it allows shots straight into the sun. It also has very little distortion. CA needs to be corrected, although its not as strong as with the Tokina.

Go Sigma if you KNOW that you really must go as wide as possible ( Try the lenses, dont assume you need to go this wide, the Canon and Tokina are already very wide and compostion becomes increasingly difficult the wider a lens gets)

Go Tokina if you shoot more low light than landscapes at good-medium light.
Pages: 1 2