Opticallimits

Full Version: The D7500 has arrived (@ 20mp)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Yaaawwwnn? [Image: bored20x18.gif]

350,- cheaper than D500, slower fps and touchscreen not thought through. This touchscreen in only 1 axis articulated? Focus points selectable by touch only in LiveView? One more DSLR to remain in the shelves.

In camera AF adjustment - standard at D5 and D500 - not available? Right Nikon, do castrate your models just by software, customers will run for it  :lol:

Well, they are in minimal efforts, maximum effect mode.

To be fair - Canon has been playing that game ever since the 50D. 

Let's face - what were the last "real" innovations in DSLR space ?

- Pentax in-body IS

- Sony's SLT 

Anything else ?

Ever since about 2010 new DSLR releases bored me to death.

I agreee.

Nikon's in-camera AF adjustment "kind-of-semi-automatic" comes in mind, even if a bit half hearted.

Pentax did a lot of things with moving sensor besides of in-body IS like high resolution multi-exposure, you even can shift the sensor a tiny bit and it has a star tracking mode.

Canon's dual AF also would come on the list. 

After reading Nasim's comments, I have to correct myself (and guess where he knows that feature from?): There will be in-body-AF-adjustment. But no second card slot (pardon me? all D7xxx had that, why stopping now?) and no ability to use a grip (thank you Nikon, because your genuine grips suck without exception! expensive, made cheaply and wobbly, no additional use).

Nasim's final comment:

Quote:I will be honest with you though – I would much rather see DX lens releases. Nikon is putting yet another nail in its coffin by announcing more DX cameras than lenses…

Nothing to add from my side

Quote:Well, they are in minimal efforts, maximum effect mode.
To be fair - Canon has been playing that game ever since the 50D. 

Let's face - what were the last "real" innovations in DSLR space ?
- Pentax in-body IS
- Sony's SLT 
Anything else ?

Ever since about 2010 new DSLR releases bored me to death.
Pentax did not come first with in-body IS, that was Konica-Minolta. Even the "SLT" was done way before Sony, by Canon going all the way back to 1965.
But Pentax did a bit more with the moving sensor. And the SLT is in DSLR world still unique - so why did not Canon refresh their invention? The disadvantage of SLT is loosing light for both, finder and sensor, so I just think, Canon didn't want to receive tons of negative comments about that.

Quote:But Pentax did a bit more with the moving sensor. And the SLT is in DSLR world still unique - so why did not Canon refresh their invention? The disadvantage of SLT is loosing light for both, finder and sensor, so I just think, Canon didn't want to receive tons of negative comments about that.
If you look at Sony's SLT..
  • The first 2 models had ghost light issues due to bad implementation of the mirror.
  • Indeed, you do lose light to the imaging sensor.
  • You lose the OVF.
  • I have tried an SLT Sony a few times, and it is pretty horrid to see the too low frequency LCD flicker and lag and look harsh and not right.
  • You use live view all the time with the SLTs, creating sensor heat and wasting battery power.
I do not get the SLT idea. The Sony SLTs don't do anything better than normal DSLRs. Canon did not ditch the concept for no reason, I guess. Advancements in shutter and mirror mechanics (speed) made the pellicle mirror obsolete for them.

Well the advantage is a steady mirror therefore in theory a faster fps without any highly precise AND robust mirror mechanics - this saves money for the manufacturer at first place. Speaking of battery life - this memory users of mirrorless cameras need to let go. At times I see the battery indicator bars walk out of the display. Walk, not run  Big Grin but still, imagining a full day normal shooting with one battery - that's running into the trap of wishful thinking.

No viewfinder blackout comes also into mind there (with full electronic shutter).

About the OVF - you may debate whether this is a disadvantage. ;-)

Due to the lack of mirror slap, it light loss is at least partially compensated.

Just mentioning - you will never realize the measured LW/PHs of the 5Ds R in the real world with activated mirror (the tests are done in live mode).

Pages: 1 2 3 4